PDA

View Full Version : Engine: As per another thread here; I got my 1962 Lark 259 running, now I want to (mildly) hop it up........

1962larksedan
08-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Yesterday I installed my overhauled starter into my 1962 Lark 259 V8 and, was able to get the car to start and run.

Engine seems to be tight; no knocking, smoked slightly for maybe 1 mile, tops.

Since both the carb and exhaust (single) need help and I have to do a good tuneup: what would be involved in upgrading?

Carb: I know I can have my present intake (2V) milled to accept a small 4 barrel.
Exhaust: since duals were a factory option on at least the 289 (same exhaust manifolds and physical configuration as a 259), are the pipes and mufflers available or do I have to have a custom system made up?
Ignition: I would looove to go with an HEI style setup for obvious reasons (everything in the distributor, one wire hook up and a nice, hot spark).

PackardV8
08-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Yes, no, maybe. There are at least a hundred previous threads on how to improve Studebaker V8s. Do a search on intakes, carburetors, ignitions, exhausts, camshafts and you'll have weeks of reading.

jack vines

41 Frank
08-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Intake can be milled to accept an Edelbrock carb. Complete exhaust systems are available from our vendors, plug and play. Ignition can be updated with a Pertronics unit if you can get a Delco distributor or buy a Mallory plug and play distributor from vendor Dave Thibeault.

Yesterday I installed my overhauled starter into my 1962 Lark 259 V8 and, was able to get the car to start and run.

Engine seems to be tight; no knocking, smoked slightly for maybe 1 mile, tops.

Since both the carb and exhaust (single) need help and I have to do a good tuneup: what would be involved in upgrading?

Carb: I know I can have my present intake (2V) milled to accept a small 4 barrel.
Exhaust: since duals were a factory option on at least the 289 (same exhaust manifolds and physical configuration as a 259), are the pipes and mufflers available or do I have to have a custom system made up?
Ignition: I would looove to go with an HEI style setup for obvious reasons (everything in the distributor, one wire hook up and a nice, hot spark).

1962larksedan
08-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Looks like I need to give Dave a call this week; he has no website.

I have no interest in building a hot rod; I simply want something powerful enough to merge onto Arizona freeways safely and drive through the mountains @ the speed limit yet not kill my fuel economy. :)

41 Frank
08-27-2011, 03:05 PM
The Mallory is an all self contained electronic unit, it is rather pricy however at round $395.00 if I remember correctly. You are correct in assuming that business with Dave is done by phone, no website. The most economical way to go electronic is with a Pertronics conversion. But you have to have a Delco distributor to do the conversion. I use both in my cars and so far they have performed flawlessly. You may be able to round up a Delco distributor in the valley. Try Jerry Kaiser in Marana, he has a lot ofStudebaker stuff for sale all the time. He has an ad on the swap page every month too, or Chuck Collins may have an idea where to find one.

1962larksedan
08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
The Mallory is an all self contained electronic unit, it is rather pricy however at round $395.00 if I remember correctly. You are correct in assuming that business with Dave is done by phone, no website. The most economical way to go electronic is with a Pertronics conversion. But you have to have a Delco distributor to do the conversion. I use both in my cars and so far they have performed flawlessly. You may be able to round up a Delco distributor in the valley. Try Jerry Kaiser in Marana, he has a lot ofStudebaker stuff for sale all the time. He has an ad on the swap page every month too, or Chuck Collins may have an idea where to find one.

That Mallory setup: is it an HEI style with the coil built into the cap a la a 1975+ Chevy with vacuum advance?

41 Frank
08-27-2011, 04:53 PM
No, it uses a separate coil as in a conventional points system. It does have an adjustable vacuum advance.

That Mallory setup: is it an HEI style with the coil built into the cap a la a 1975+ Chevy with vacuum advance.