Just Got 61 Lark 4DR Sedan-- Flamingo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Got 61 Lark 4DR Sedan-- Flamingo

Hi-- I just bought a 61 Lark 4 door sedan-- production order confirms original color was/still is Flamingo. Apparently this was originally only on Hawks and Lark convertibles in 1961 but later in the model year it was made available for all Larks on special order. I am wondering how rare/ uncommon this color was on non-convertibles-- does anybody else have one like this?

One more question-- does anyone have a picture of all vinyl brown metallic vinyl capping with diamond pattern brown vinyl inserts for seat covers? I don't even know what all that means, but I want to redo the interior as close to original as possible.

I am learning alot reading on SDC Forum-- this is great....
    Martin in Oregon
    '61 Lark VI Deluxe 4 dr sedan

sigpic

an original Flamingo Lark

I don't think Flamingo is as rare as you might think it is. It was made available on all models starting in November, 1960. More here:

Since you're from Oregon, did you happen to buy this one:

I’ve had a long held fantasy since 1971, when GM’s mega-barges appeared: to take a cutting torch to a Caddy, and make a clean slice across the front and rear, just ahead of and behind the wheels, resulting in something like this (sorry, I don’t Photoshop). The result would be hundreds of pounds lighter, easier parking, better performance, economy, handling and braking, but without any loss from that roomy interior. Turns out that Studebaker designer Duncan McRae be…

As for your interior, is yours a Deluxe, or a Regal? The interiors were different.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 08-25-2011, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! Great to see new members & if you can post any pictures, all the better!
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Somebody will tell you which forum members sell new interiors. I can never remember.

Comment

I recall looking at a 1961 Lark 4-door sedan in the back row of a car dealer in 1970 and it was definitely Flamingo in color (that and rust of course, here in Western PA).

Comment

I worked with a guy that ordered a new 1961 Lark Regal VIII four door Skytop sedan in Flamingo. He ordered it early in the year from Knight's Garage in Wappingers Falls, NY. It took a long time for him to get the car. I don't know if it was special built or was after the color was released across the line. He kept the car for many years as his everyday car. The last that I knew, the car was in upstate New York.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have seen several '61 Cruisers that were Flamingo - in fact my daughter owned one for several years but sold it a couple of years ago. It is in the Portland-Milwaukie area - maybe it is the one you bought. The most unlikely '61 Lark I saw in Flamingo was a six cylinder 4 door DeLuxe station wagon!

Comment

Yes I bought the curbside classic from Eugene OR!

As for the interior, the production order says Deluxe, with an upgrade to all vinyl interior (brown metallic vinyl capping with a diamond pattern brown vinyl inserts). Does anybody make these to mimic stock interiors?

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                I don't think Flamingo is as rare as you might think it is. It was made available on all models starting in November, 1960. More here:

Since you're from Oregon, did you happen to buy this one:

I’ve had a long held fantasy since 1971, when GM’s mega-barges appeared: to take a cutting torch to a Caddy, and make a clean slice across the front and rear, just ahead of and behind the wheels, resulting in something like this (sorry, I don’t Photoshop). The result would be hundreds of pounds lighter, easier parking, better performance, economy, handling and braking, but without any loss from that roomy interior. Turns out that Studebaker designer Duncan McRae be…

As for your interior, is yours a Deluxe, or a Regal? The interiors were different.

Craig
                Martin in Oregon

sigpic

Comment

Mine is the 4 door sedan instead of a Cruiser. It was originally a Newberg OR sale, so it has almost returned home. Took it to the 99W DriveIn in Newberg last Friday-- couldn't help but wonder if it had been there 49 years ago or so... It also has a white roof, which the production order doesn't mention-- the man I bought it from had the car since 1974 though and it had a white roof when he got it...
                  Martin in Oregon

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Novice View Post
                    Mine is the 4 door sedan instead of a Cruiser. It was originally a Newberg OR sale, so it has almost returned home. Took it to the 99W DriveIn in Newberg last Friday-- couldn't help but wonder if it had been there 49 years ago or so... It also has a white roof, which the production order doesn't mention-- the man I bought it from had the car since 1974 though and it had a white roof when he got it...
                    Unless it was a special order fleet car (your build sheet would indicate this), the top was painted white post-Studebaker production (possibly when new at the dealer, but most likely post-retail sale).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hi neighbor....

Welcome. I live down in Springfield and we will likely run across each other sooner or later. You bought your car in Eugene, living in Wilsonville. And I bought my Lark in Portland, living in Eugene/Springfield.

I have good memories of '61s, as I learned to drive in a '61 4D Wagon and later owned a '61 2D Wagon.

See you around!

Comment

Starlite Studebaker in Colorado bought all of the NOS Seat Material from the remains of the original Studebaker Warehouse in South Bend, IN (SASCO) they may have the original seat covers or the Material itself, as Green and Brown were the least popular colors, they tend to remain longer.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome to the club, and to being a '61 owner! They are great and "odd" (at times) cars! Just out of curiosity, what is the body number on your car? I'm looking for another early production '61 to confirm something on these cars...
                          Dylan Wills
                          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

body number on 61 lark 4 dr sedan

the body cowl plate # is: 61SW4 9946. Final assembly date was 4/20/61. Hope that helps....
                            Martin in Oregon

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Mark-- your car looks great!!! Wow I have a ways to go to get mine looking like that. Although once the interior gets replaced it'll look pretty good.
                              Martin in Oregon

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X