Papa, Can we....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papa, Can we....?

I was sitting at the computer and looking out the window Fri. afternoon when I saw a big white Suburban roll to a stop under the Oak tree in front of my house. An 11 year old boy bails out of the shotgun seat and is running toward my front door as the big machine pulls away. I begin to shut down the computer because I know what is coming.
    For years this same boy has been running in to my house with the same phrase on his lips. It always begins with "Papa, can we..? It's always followed by somthing like "go hunting?" or "Go fishing?"or maybe "Ride the motorcyle?"
    Today it was "Papa, can we work on my car?" Several years back he had been given a Studebaker out of my collection. It was only fair because I had given his older cousin a 63 Daytona. The only condition was they had to help me work on getting them restored to driver condition. This was a way to spend time with my grandsons and teach them somthing at the same time.
    Josh's car was a 56 Flight hawk that PO had converted to V8 power and started modifying to look like a 54 coupe. Last Dec. I bought a 60 lark 2dr ht. It was pretty rough, didn't know if it would run, some parts had been robbed,so I was thinking Parts car.
    Josh saw it on the trailer and fell in love. He said "Papa, I love that Car! I want it! I'll trade my coupe for it !"
    I told him he could have either one he wanted but he still had to work on it. We discovered a bad starter and while it was still on the trailer we replaced it. In so doing, I dropped the starter which hit Josh on the head causing a gash which required stitches at the ER.
    Josh still loved that car. We got it to run, put brakes on it, and started to make it presentable. A few weeks back I brought it home from the shop and parked it front of the house. Every day now after school, I know what's coming.
    It's always "Papa, can we work on my car?" Josh lives just down the road from me so each day we get a little bit more done.
    Sat. Josh was to be out of town on a project with the Boy Scouts so I started another project. A roof leak in my carport. I had a big hole torn out of the roof when Josh came home that afternoon. Same question "Papa can we workon my car?" My answer was "Sorry, can't right now. I'v got to finish the roof" In the next breath he asks "Can I help?"
    So I put him on th roof nailing down ply wood, replacing rafters and fetching tools.. His Grandma called from town to check on us and see if we needed anything. Josh told her "Since I'm helping fix your roof, Will you buy me 5 qts of oil?"
    Sunday, after Church Josh is again at my house. He heard Grandma was frying chicken. Sunday Pm he has fresh oil in the Lark and a NOS Western Auto oil filter (from my stash) .
    This has been a good weekend. NT
    Neil Thornton

He's a lucky boy Neil
    Tom
    sigpic

Comment

great to hear such enthusiasm for the Studebakers. Its great to get them involved so much to teach them. Keep up the Great work.
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

That was wonderful to read.
        I am glad that you have such a great relationship with your grandson and I would love to read more about this in the future.

Comment

Lucky Kid & Lucky Papa! Any time grand kids and grand parents get together for any sort of activity is time to treasure. He may develop a love for Studebakers, but he will remember the time he spent with his Papa all his life. I was a late in life baby, so I barely remember my Papa. I truly love the time I get to spend with my grand daughters. Thanks for sharing such a great story!

Pat
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
            Lucky Kid & Lucky Papa! Any time grand kids and grand parents get together for any sort of activity is time to treasure. He may develop a love for Studebakers, but he will remember the time he spent with his Papa all his life. I was a late in life baby, so I barely remember my Papa. I truly love the time I get to spend with my grand daughters. Thanks for sharing such a great story!

Pat
            Thanks Pat, Yes I do consider myself very fortunate. My Papa was 72 when I was born but he lived to be 91 so I have some good memories of him. I also have heard some great stories about him. I have a diary that he kept in the late 40's early 50's which includes Mar. 26, 1949- "Baby boy born to Edwin" That was me.

Had we continued with the coupe project, it would have looked much like your car. I printed a Pic of yours for inspiration. Grandson Zack now has his eye on that car.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

THAT is the greatest possible worth of our old cars.
              No auction can match those experiences with loved ones...'cept when their tuitions come due.
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

i am sure you know what a lucky man you are!!!
                no, not luck, God's grace...
                just about every time i polish a car, i remember my "pappaw" showing me how to do it the "right" way when i was around 7 or 8 yrs old...
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Can you rent him out?
                  (Matthew doesn't work cheap any more)
                  Jeff
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Cool beans, Neil...but don't let any of them have the forlorn 1964 Daytona Wagonaire in Astra White. As soon as my ship comes in financially, I'm taking you up on your offer of having it for free and dropping it off at Westmoreland for a $200,000 restoration. Ah, pleasant dreams....

'Hope to be in your shoes soon! Keep up the good work. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Oddly, there don't seem to be any sociology or anthropology courses to remind the future that this is how children were raised in my country.

Oh, hey, better make that six quarts. "Coming of Age in Hazlehurst."

Comment

I have one I am getting started early. here's a couple of pic's

Comment

Neil, Great story! Enjoy the time. Never had a 'papa' only one grandma on the Italian side of the family. She taught me how to cook. I shall never forget!!!!
                          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                            I have one I am getting started early. here's a couple of pic's

Great pictures Tex. How well I remember those days. Josh went to his first Zone Meet in Memphis whe he was 4 mounths old. Matthew was 10. We had 5 people in an Avanti from So. Ga. to W. Tenn. and back. Talk about a Road trip!!!
                            Neil Thornton

Comment

It's great you have that connection with the grandkids. I remember the time I spent with my PaPa and grandad.
                              We have 4 grand daughters, no boys yet. My daughters oldest girl is a tomboy who likes to hang with grampa. She loves to ride in my old cars, go fishing and hunting with me. My stepsons oldest helps me with the horse, but doesn't care about the cars. She's more grammas girl. The other two are babies, time will tell if they get the car bug or not.
                              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              X