The Lamberti papers #11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #11

Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 08-20-2011, 06:08 PM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Look at number 5: R1 and R2 engines. Could this answer why some R cars did not have the fender emblems? Just an oversight by the factory? To compensate, the dealer could add the emblems at the dealership? Very interesting.

Comment

Thanks again, Dick; most interesting.

It will be interesting to see when the flanged axles were dropped from 1964 improvements. The program seems to have been coming along nicely at this point! <GGG>

We probably don't need to know much more about the "spinning company cars" program. <more GGG> BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It will be interesting to see when the decision was made to change the '64 GT trunk lid and go to the smooth lid instead of the overlay.
        Last edited by r1lark; 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM. Reason: added info.....
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I thought it was just me that missed number 11.

Comment

Interesting, in ENGINEERING 3. the Hawk side grills are referred to as "nostrils". I wonder how we got away from that discriptive term?

Joe H

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              OK, did I miss #11?

Also, it will be interesting to see when the decision was made to change the '64 GT trunk lid and go to the smooth lid instead of the overlay.
              'Probably decided to spend the money saved by staying with tapered axles, to change the deck lid dies for the Hawk, Paul! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

"3. 1964 Hawk

The Sales Department looked at the ’64 Hawk when Mr. Stevens was here, and they are very happy with the styling. There will be a new texture for the grille and the nostrils and a new rear deck aluminum ornamental overlay. There will be no sheet metal changes in the ’64 Hawk, and all the exterior moldings will remain the same."
                Would be interesting to see the design proposals of these items (new textured grille and deck overlay) intended for production. Would also like to see the wheelcover proposal with the red, white & blue coach marks. Thinking out loud here, but if the 1964 Hawk had remained identical to the 1963 Hawk, would sales of the 1964 Hawks been any less successful? I am glad they redesigned the decklid as it is a pain trying to restore those beat-up and corroded aluminum overlays of the 1962 & 63 Hawks.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    Mr. Hardig showed the group the two new spring colors that were approved Friday: light green and beige. He estimates it will be three weeks before the paint is available.
                    These minutes show the degree of autonomy Studebaker of Canada had at the time. It appears they were allowed to make their own marketing decisions a lot of the time, including Spring Colors exclusive to Canada (Cruiser Maroon and Sylvan Green). I guess when the Canadian operation was MAKING money, it was best left alone!

Craig

Comment

Dick, I must say that these memos are the most interesting reading since the start of the Stude forum.

Comment

"3. Concentration Program

Of all car sales made in 1962, 82% were made by 779 of our dealers. Sales intends to test the feasibility of reducing the attention given the 1,200 dealers who account for the other 18% of our business and concentrating money and field personnel time on the small core of effective dealers......"

Hi

Wonder how this compares with general dealer performance for other makers. It does suggest their dealer network was largely inaffective. The role of a high percentage of poor dealers in their downfall hasn't really been explored.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                          "1. Discharges

We have two more discharges for misappropriation of Company property: two night truck drivers in transportation. One was an ex-deputy sheriff with 27 years’ service, and the other was Gloyd Richards. It has always been our policy not to prosecute because of influence the Union has with local politics. The Union is processing grievances; however, Local 5 didn’t arbitrate the last few cases, so they are in a bind on this."

Wasn't Gloyd Richards the striker that swore out a complaint against Egbert? He must have been a real piece of work. I remember reading about him in the current Avanti magazine.
                          As reported in the South Bend newspaper...Gloyd Richards was a SP truck driver who was accused of resisting Patrolman Floyd Chrapliwy's efforts to clear a path for Mr. Egbert's Mercedes Benz sedan to pass through the picket line. Both Egbert and Johnson were released on $50 Bonds. Egbert took out a $50.00 bill out of his pocket to put up a cash bond but Johnson was bonded by an insuranceman.
                          Peter Bishop

Comment

I just loved the terminology " there will be a new texture for the grille & the nostrils". Imagine using that in a sales campaign for the upcoming '64 Hawk. I must say the decision for a smooth decklid with the deletion of the overlay was a winner.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                            MELBOURNE.

Comment

It does suggest their dealer network was largely inaffective. The role of a high percentage of poor dealers in their downfall hasn't really been explored.
                              Back in the day, the corner gas station only had to agree to sell a few cars if anyone wanted to buy one. Very little investment and very little oversight was involved. Many service stations became dealers to be able to hang out a Studebaker sign and get the repair business.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X