58 Hardtop/Convertible question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Hardtop/Convertible question

I've often pondered taking a 58 Stude hardtop and retrofitting either a 56 or 57 complete trim changeover. Of course, I'll never do it, too many projects now, and the time to easily gather all the pieces has certainly passed. Has anyone ever done this? It would be one good-looking car. Same with retrofitting 57 Packard trim on a 58.
    Another thought would be to take an early Lark convertible and doing the same. This would be more than a bolt-on, but could be done. All the hard convertible engineering would be ready. I don't know how much cowl change between 58 and 59, and the rear is certainly shorter. Could the earlier front end be bolted up to the Lark body?
    Which combo would be your favorite? Mine would probably be a 57 Packard convertible. That would be a lot of work, but the possibilities in imagination are endless. How about a 57 Caribbean!

There was a little banter a couple weeks ago about this very topic. Most suggested fitting the older body work on a lark convertible chassis. I think it would be easier retrofitting the convertible top assembly and the reinforcements onto the older car. I think a '57 Caribbean would be a great ride especially after shoe-horning a dual quad 374 into the engine bay!

You'd probably have to start with a '58 hardtop and swap everything over from a '57 Parkard donar and a Lark 'vert donar. This would include drilling out and transfering the reinforements. Time consuming but not that hard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

There was a little banter a couple weeks ago about this very topic. Most suggested fitting the older body work on a lark convertible chassis. I think it would be easier retrofitting the convertible top assembly and the reinforcements onto the older car. I think a '57 Caribbean would be a great ride especially after shoe-horning a dual quad 374 into the engine bay!

You'd probably have to start with a '58 hardtop and swap everything over from a '57 Parkard donar and a Lark 'vert donar. This would include drilling out and transfering the reinforements. Time consuming but not that hard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Ya mean like this? : http://tinyurl.com/28lrbt

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Someone converted a '58 hardtop into a '56 (or '57) by changing front clip, rear treatment, etc. I saw the car at SDC International Meets and thought that it looked good. I haven't seen the car in years and do not know if it still exists.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Someone converted a '58 hardtop into a '56 (or '57) by changing front clip, rear treatment, etc. I saw the car at SDC International Meets and thought that it looked good. I haven't seen the car in years and do not know if it still exists.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That wasn't the post I was thinking of, but I like your post better .

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That wasn't the post I was thinking of, but I like your post better .

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

There was this post here too http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...TOPIC_ID=10506

And I remember a photoshopped picture of a 56 hardtop in a recent thread. That's the one I really want to do.

Dan
                    52 hardtop

Comment

There was this post here too http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...TOPIC_ID=10506

And I remember a photoshopped picture of a 56 hardtop in a recent thread. That's the one I really want to do.

Dan
                      52 hardtop

Comment

That's the one I was thinking of. I wonder if Matt cut the roof off of that pretty black & white car(?).

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

That's the one I was thinking of. I wonder if Matt cut the roof off of that pretty black & white car(?).

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

" That's the one I was thinking of. I wonder if Matt cut the roof off of that pretty black & white car(?).

Tom - Valrico, FL"

If he did, he's gonna be without computer privleges for a LONG time - after he's released from the hospital![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

" That's the one I was thinking of. I wonder if Matt cut the roof off of that pretty black & white car(?).

Tom - Valrico, FL"

If he did, he's gonna be without computer privleges for a LONG time - after he's released from the hospital![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X