PDA

View Full Version : Body: need some help!

carothersbs
08-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Does anyone know of a good body guy in the reno/sparks NV area? If so let me know!

rockne10
08-17-2011, 09:43 PM
How about Brian Carothers? I know, he doesn't have a lot of experience but, he's pretty fussy about the quality of the work.
Never too late to start learning.

If you are a member of your local SDC Chapter, your fellow members probably already have experience with shops they would recommend.

Whomever you find, be active in the process. Supply them with the Shop Manual if needed. Be the procurer of parts if needed. Be observant and ask questions, without being a pest. Don't give them the impression you have all the time in the world.
And, if they are giving you good work, pay them quickly and tip them with a case of their favorite brew.

carothersbs
08-17-2011, 10:36 PM
I worked a summer in a body shop in Oregon, learned how to sand primer bondo prep and primer. What I never learned was metal work that's what I need help with. I would just go to the body shop to get the metal work done but there to far away.

Oh and is love to buy just my self a beer, but I'm 19 Haha

wolfie
08-17-2011, 10:55 PM
I worked a summer in a body shop in Oregon, learned how to sand primer bondo prep and primer. What I never learned was metal work that's what I need help with. I would just go to the body shop to get the metal work done but there to far away.

Oh and is love to buy just my self a beer, but I'm 19 Haha

No better time to learn than now. If its all scratch and dent stuff most of that work is pretty straight-forward. There are several sources for inexpensive welders for patch work and I will guarantee you will save more than the equipment and a few classes (if you need them) will cost if you need much work done. What car are you working on and what kind of work needs to be done? There are guidelines for replacing most Stude metal on this site. Good Luck, Steve

carothersbs
08-17-2011, 11:13 PM
No better time to learn than now. If its all scratch and dent stuff most of that work is pretty straight-forward. There are several sources for inexpensive welders for patch work and I will guarantee you will save more than the equipment and a few classes (if you need them) will cost if you need much work done. What car are you working on and what kind of work needs to be done? There are guidelines for replacing most Stude metal on this site. Good Luck, Steve
Both rear panels have pretty exstensive rust in each panel and doesn't look like a easy cut and weld.

But ill try

rockne10
08-17-2011, 11:26 PM
What model is your project? Some rear quarters are still available.

I had my project at a friend's shop. He let me use his tools and materials. When there was something like welding to be done, I would ask him to do it. It took me a while to realize he had real income producing customers and payments coming in from insurance companies to support his business. I was fortunate to have access to his facilities and good graces. If I wanted to make progress I needed to pick up the welder and blow through some metal; make some nasty welds. It got better and I learned a lot. I was forty years older than you.

You will never regret procuring a reasonable mig welder and learning by blowing through some metal and making some nasty welds.

You've got more than a crapload of folks here who are eager to support your efforts.

carothersbs
08-17-2011, 11:47 PM
That's true thank you for some input, and if worst comes to worst. I can go find some fenders

rockne10
08-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Brian,
Throw us some pictures. What's your project?

carothersbs
08-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Brian,
Throw us some pictures. What's your project?

Go to my profile. Look on my threads I started and its the 1948 studebaker land cruiser

rockne10
08-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Sorry, Brian. I did look at your photos last night and thought, "What a doable project!"
The rear quarters will not be found outside of networking and swap meets.
These are prime for restoration; not worth pitching and certainly within your ability to save.

I can only wish I had started my Studebaker experience with a Land Cruiser, instead of a Lark VI sedan; "not that there's anything wrong with that."

carothersbs
08-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Yeah I believe I may have found some though for a good price. So ill see what happeneds.

What's the difference with the land cruiser compared to lark?