valve clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: valve clearance

last night i decided to ajust my valves, i had one that was ticking a little. well the motor was not cold but not hot so i decided to set them all @ .0023 not much change still getting the valve ticks!! any sugestions? should i set them a little tighter?
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

I would recommend .025 for valve clearance on V8 engines if the engine is hot. If you are getting ticking noises which a small amount is normal because of the solid lifters, you may need to resurface or replace the rocker arms. Bud

Comment

What engine?
      Sure it's a lifter tap?
      Did you try a stethescope? (Even a poor man's version?)
      Did you set them running?
      How did you set them? (bumping starter to compression? Degree wheel?)
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

.027" (232, 259, 289) (not .0023..!) cold
        Engine off

Easiest, cleanest and easier to be accurate thAn when hot, just as accurate as when hot.

Mike

Comment

Why does my re-ground Comp Cams bump stick call for .018?
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

worn rockers

Most machine shops don't have the attachment's to service worn rockers any more. Here's how to get around the problem. Buy a set of miniature feeler guage blades. They are narrow enough to fit into the pit worn into the rocker instead of straddling it. Works evevy time! Try Lisle brand. They are chinese but last OK. Luck Doofus

Comment

You know the saying, "hot or cold are fine, but lukewarm is no good"?

Always set em either hot or cold. Not warm - you'll wind up with too much slop.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Why does my re-ground Comp Cams bump stick call for .018?
                Because CompCams uses a steeper ramp angle for quicker valve opening. Studebaker was more concerned with longer operating lifespan and quiet operation, so they used a slower ramp angle.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                X