windshield wiper motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windshield wiper motor

ok i have checked everything i can think of on my windshield wiper motor and cant get it to run. even took it down to just the two wires right out of the motor and no go!! anyone have a 6 volt wiper motor they would like to sell?? by the way it is for a 53 k not sure what all years will fit!!
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

To test the motor, ground it and power one of the wires, then the other.

Alan Hagan
    Last edited by alanahasan; 08-14-2011, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Be sure you need a new motor before you chuck it.
      I have one from my '53 C if needed.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

wow just tried it and it works with one eire connected it is fast then connect the other and it is slow!! it that how it should work??
        Kevin Phillips
        Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

yes! Two speed motor; lower speed is attained by added resistance.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You got it! The body of the motor is your ground circuit. The two wires are for your "Two Speed Wiper Motor."
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Inside the transmission is the crescent-shaped conductor. A copper 'finger' rides on the crescent; the finger is always connected to hot, and the crescent is always connected to the slow speed of the motor. If the wiper blade is in park, the open part of the crescent lies under the finger, so it does not complete the circuit: no motion.

If the wiper is away from park, the finger send electricity to the crescent, and it goes to the motor. The motor will run until it reaches park.

When you turn on the wiper, electricity goes directly to the motor leads, causing the motor to run. When you turn off the wiper switch, the motor continues to get electricity if the finger is on the crescent - that is, if it is out of park. When the wioper reaches park, it stops.

If you connected the crescent to high, but turned on low speed, the wiper would start slow, but the moment it left park the crescent would feed electricity to the high speed wire, and the wiper wopuld go fast - until it reached park.

On cars, they use the body and frame as a conductor to the grounded side of the battery; this way they do not have to use as many wires.

Removing the wiper transmission cover doesn't hurt anything, and ought to show you how it works.

An intermittent windshield wiper sends a pulse to the motor, causing it to leave park. Once it leaves park, it keeps going until it reaches park again. By varying the timing of the pulses, you can vary how often the wiper starts; the means are simple to devise [you can use a rheostdt, a blinker and a relay: all mechanical, no electronics].

Alan Hagan
              Last edited by alanahasan; 08-14-2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

ok now for the good news!! thanks to you all i was able to replace one wire and got her going again!!! thanks for all your help!!
                Kevin Phillips
                Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

Working...
                X