Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT Hawk Questions (2)

Hello All,

This is my 1st post & hopefully not my last. I recently purchased a 62 GT Hawk with a 289 Automatic & Ques # 1 On the access door for the gas fill up there's a logo with TT in script letters
    what does the TT stand for ????

Ques # 2 I live in Southern Calif & we have 3 grades on gas 87, 89, 91 What grade
    should I be using???

Thank You
    I'm glad I found this website!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome. The TT stands for Twin Traction and is Studebaker's name for the limited slip rear end used. Other companies called it positraction, etc. 87 octane should be sufficient if your engine does not ping when using it. I will tell you to stay away from ethanol gas but in California that is not possible as far as I know. I use 87 octane in my own Gt Hawk with no problems for the last 20 years.
    Last edited by 41 Frank; 08-15-2011, 08:02 AM.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

And may I say welcome to the forum and to the Studebaker hobby, assuming this is your first Stude. Now that you have one of Studebakers finest, Join the Studebaker drivers Club, buy a shop manual, explore all the information this site offers and enjoy.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

As engines age, their octane requirement might creep up a bit. I used regular (no ethanol) in my 60 Hawk when I had it, with just a touch ie about 1 in 50 or less of diesel fuel in hot humid weather, or alternately an ounce or so of Marvel Mystery Oil per tankful. Ran cool and fine. Currently I run midgrade (5% ethanol) or premium 0% ethanol) in all my Studebakers both 6 and V8, as I am leery about the ethanol itself. My choice may not be available to you, of course.

Another thing--likely you don't drive it enough to make a difference, but you might consider filling full tankfuls with midgrade and premium, and keeping track of how it starts and runs, accelerates and so forth. I found that even with recent car, a 2004 Subaru Forester as a case in point over a documented 5,000+ miles, that although it was designed to run on 87, it starts and runs much better on midgrade with less stumbling when cold, and the difference in increased mileage of 9%+ more than compensates for the increased cost of fuel in the 3.5% range. Oddly, premium barely increases mpg any further, maybe 10.5%-11% over regular fuel, at a further 3.5% increase in price, so midgrade it is. I als find that upping the grade of fuel does make a difference with the Studebakers as well as far as mileage and power. Whether it makes sense financially on a hobby car is a moot point.

Nice find with the TT. I'm curious if your Hawk has the 2bbl or a 4bbl carb to go with that TT? No technical difference except better fuel flow, as V8s were all 8.25:1 in 62

As always, your mileage may vary <g>
        Last edited by Jim B PEI; 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM. Reason: TT & fuel flow

Comment

Where in So. Cal. are you located? I'm located about 2 miles south of LAX and I own a 62 Hawk. If you need help with your car, send me a PM and I will try to help you. If your engine is stock I would recommend 87 octane gas. If the engine detonates go to the 89 octane gas. Bud

Comment

Hi Bud,

Tks 4 the reply, I used the car 4 the 1st time yesterday after installing new shocks & rebuilding the power steering control valve (no leaks) . This morning I'm going to have the car

inspected by the CHP so I can get my plates. I'm located in Dana Point.

Best

Comment

Welcome aboard, Bill; you'll enjoy your Hawk. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and the world of Studebaker ownership. As many will tell you we love to see pictures. Good luck with your new car.

Comment

Working...
                X