No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Quote

This should make interesting reading on the subject http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=painting+cost

Your quote is on the lower side of the price of a decent job. Be sure to check other jobs they have done in that price range. I'll have planned $1000+ into painting my Avanti and that is $000.00 in labor.

Bob

Comment

I sorta, kinda, guessed that. The guy usually works on Chrysler/Dodge of the 60's and 70's but has no objections doing mine. I will remove all the trim, bumpers, grill etc... but the glass will remain. No door jams or trunk. Under hood might get done but it's not a priority at this point. Is the single coat paint any good or should I be looking for a different type?

Comment

If you go with the $2500 just make sure up front what you will be getting with that. I see so many paint jobs for far more money that have a bad prep before laying on the color, one thing would be the none or poor masking of all the jambs to prevent overspray reaching these areas.
        Tom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
          I sorta, kinda, guessed that. The guy usually works on Chrysler/Dodge of the 60's and 70's but has no objections doing mine. I will remove all the trim, bumpers, grill etc... but the glass will remain. No door jams or trunk. Under hood might get done but it's not a priority at this point. Is the single coat paint any good or should I be looking for a different type?
          This is my amateur opinion the pros may differ. For a solid color, the new enamels make a good choice if sprayed catalyzed. They can be color sanded and wheeled into a nice finish. However, I like the newer base coat/top coats as they can be repaired prior to top coating, allow several colors to be added and smoothed and give a deeper glossier finish when finished.

The single coat will come much closer to matching your original finish and with the door jambs and under hood not included is the only way to go.

JMHO, Bob
          Last edited by sweetolbob; 08-14-2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
            A good single stage should be fine. That is what Studebaker used on the car and paints are better now. In case you don't know, the original paint is enamel.

I don't know why you are looking for a "more durable" paint job. The original has been on there for 52 years. How much longer do you plan on being around (maybe you are only 25)?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Theres nothing wrong with a single stage paint. The paint itself is cheaper in cost, and I have done a nice color sanding and polish on it and it looks great. A nice thing about a single stage color route is you dont have to worry as much with having issues of exiting pruducts under them as in capatibility.
              Tom
              sigpic

Comment

I am considering repaint of a GT. The last car I had painted was 8 years ago, a sunglow & white 56J that was as rust free as they come. All the panels were dipped by the PO. I did 100 per cent of the body work and prep, including epoxy primer. Nothing was cheap, and I recall at least $1500 back then in supplies, counting everything from sandpaper to paint. I paid a pro $500 to tape it off and shoot the paint (acrylic enamel).
                I am thinking your quote of $2500, including labor and materials is a bargin.

Joe

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. If the single is as good as the original and will look original then that will be the type I will choose. I used to have a car that had what we in Australia call "2 pack". It was almost bullet proof and was used on trucks and aircraft. I wouldn't mind that type of paint as it could handle knocks and stones with no damage. It also had a shine that didn't need wax or buffing to look good any day of the week but I believe it will be outside of my budget. If I can get it to look stock that's all I'm after. Thanks again.

COMMANDERPINK1 do you have any more photos of that great looking 64 or is it a 65?

Comment

Are you referring to the multi colored 66? It just has a 64 grille in is all, I prefer it over the 66 grilles. If I have any in the computer Ill post them.
                    Tom
                    sigpic

Comment

The only two I could find. I also have roof size flag painted on the top.
                      Tom
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X