Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the blue canister on top of my Carberator??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: What is the blue canister on top of my Carberator??

I have a 49 3/4 ton 2R10 pickup and it's my 1st Studebaker. I noticed my carb was leaking a little bit so a buddy gave me a carb it's a carter still but different design I'm pretty sure it will work. I took the top off of the blue canister thinking it was an air filter and there is oil in there I believe. What is that canister and why is it full of oil? Guess it's time to try and get a manual on the truck. Help me out please.. Plus where is the oil filter at?? Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Without photos, can't be certain. Oil filter canisters were generally orange and/or black. If you took the "top off of the blue canister", none of us will have any idea what you are referring to. Doesn't mean someone in the past hasn't painted something blue simply to confuse us.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerguy View Post
      I have a 49 3/4 ton 2R10 pickup and it's my 1st Studebaker. I noticed my carb was leaking a little bit so a buddy gave me a carb it's a carter still but different design I'm pretty sure it will work. I took the top off of the blue canister thinking it was an air filter and there is oil in there I believe. What is that canister and why is it full of oil? Guess it's time to try and get a manual on the truck. Help me out please.. Plus where is the oil filter at?? Any help is appreciated.
      Thanks
      I'll agree with Brad about the oil filter canister. If it's a original color, it is probably off an older Ford product that was transplanted. As he said, pictures always help.

Edit ( should have said "oil bath air filter")

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 08-13-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I think he said 'carb' so perhaps not an oil filter

Could be a repainted "oil bath" air filter (instead of the later dry paper element almost all vehicles use today; paper filter technology has come a long long way) Back in the day, oil baths were great for dusty areas and for trucks, especially for heavy use trucks. Every so often you just take the unit off, drain the oil out of it, rince the container and permanent filter it with a bit of kerosene, drain, and add some more oil (not filled up!!) so that it can wick up on the permanent filter. All the dust dirt and grit gets trapped in the oil and slides down to the bottom of the oil pot. Don't have any on Studebakers at present, but have one on a 49 Kaiser.

Comment

Sounds like an oil filled air filter to me that someone painted blue. You may or may not have an oil filter.
          sigpic

Comment

Pictures, pictures, pictures. There are several sites where you can upload pictures (or any file) to and access it via a URL. I use DropBox. If you post pictures here, this is what you will need to do since the "Insert Image" button asks for a URL. You may also have to reduce the image size since this site does not auto-scale. I prefer to add the pictures to my blog and just paste the blog URL link here. My blog is mainly for friends and co-workers to monitor my progress and whatnot. You can have a blog for free and it is simple to use: http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

It sounds like you are talking about an oil bath air filter.

It is possible that your engine does not have an oil filter at all. I believe it was an option back then. Some will say you don't need one, just replace the oil every 1,000 miles. Some say that adding the original filter, which is a partial flow type is a waste of time, and some will say that you must add a bypass filter (one where all the oil from the oil pump flows through to the oil galley).
            1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
            See rescue progress here on this blog:
            http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've attached a picture. Thanks for all the help I'm trying to restore my truck and I need to know alittle bit more about it first.
              Attached Files

Comment

I've attached a picture. Thanks for all the help I'm trying to restore my truck and I need to know alittle bit more about it first.
                That is an air cleaner that someone painted blue.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That is an oil bath air cleaner. Quite typical for the era, nothing unusual.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

So, how does the oil bath air cleaner work? When I change the oil I put oil in the motor then fill up the filter? I'm very Green at owning my Stude.

Comment

So, how does the oil bath air cleaner work? When I change the oil I put oil in the motor then fill up the filter? I'm very Green at owning my Stude.
                      You don't "fill up the filter". After emptying and cleaning the filter housing, you add a small amount of oil up to the line that is stamped into the filter housing showing the oil fill line.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The oil bath air filter uses oil to capture the dirt and contaminants in the air. Over time the oil will become dirty and should be replaced. When changing the engine oil it is a good time to replace the air filter oil. The oil in the air filter is not used up by the engine and only lowers in level from evaporation.

In your photo, it appears, if I am not mistaken, that you also have a engine oil filter. It appears black in the photo, on the other side of the engine slightly to the frot. This is a partial flow filter and a canister type. To remove the oil filter for replacement, unscrew the bolt on the top and pull the filter straight up.

Comment

Thanks alot for all the advice. On the Oil filter is it one that I take out and wash and put back in or do I have to find one to buy? I'm also trying to hunt down some used front leaf springs and shackles if anyone knows of a junk yard or might have some laying around. Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Comment

You remove the filter and chuck it. You can new ones from several sources. I buy mine from Studebaker International, mine uses a Fram C4 type. Leaf springs would probably best to come from a local spring shop. The shackles and bushings you might get from SI or Studebaker Parts or ebay.

On ebay I have set up a saved search with the filters I need. When something new meets the filter ebay emails me about it...

Here is my filter: studebaker (pickup,truck,M5,M15,M15A,M16) -magnet -print -photo -photograph -ad -t-shirt -die -brochure -m2 -postcard -manual -article -sweatshirt -shirt

Comment

Working...
                            X