No announcement yet.

oh boy, willpower required not to look.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh boy, willpower required not to look.

Just checked my local Kijiji and discovered a 50 Champion Starlight for sale, complete for $1000 or best offer by Aug 20 including some nos parts. What caught my attention was the postal code in the ad was very close to mine, turns out this car is a 5 min walk from my house...what to do, what to do. The deal in my house is no more than one NON-RUNNING project car at a time....well, my 54 is not running right now, but I so badly want to have a Stude gasser style of car, and this body stlye would be perfect....and my brother offered me the high-strung over-cammed, high compression 283 out of his 66 Acadian because I gave him a mild 350 a few years back. This would be a match made in heaven....oh boy oh boy oh boy! I do not have the money, or time right now and really should even consider this, but how often does a car you want show up so close to where you live. I'm scared to even mention this to the boss, and she'd be really pissed to have her car stuck out on the street to make room in the garage for another Stude. Do I go look at it...and cause myself a whole lot of grief....or do I let it slide, do I be rational, or stupid. Do I do what I know is good to keep the peace, or do I only think of myself.....hmmm, maybe I'll take a short 5 min walk this afternoon...and if some dumb old Studebaker follows me home am I to be held accountable? Gotta go wash the boss's car while I do some thinking. Cheers, Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

I feel your pain. If the car is solid, it would be hard to pass up being so close. So many times the perfect car is on the other side of the country.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Maybe the seller just needs the money, and can store the car for a few months?
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission :-)
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I know the owner of this car. He is a long-time Foothills Chapter member, and one of the finest people you could want to meet. If you choose to buy the car, you will get a square deal.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Walking is good excersice. I'd take the 5 min walk if it were me.

Originally posted by junior View Post
            Just checked my local Kijiji and discovered a 50 Champion Starlight for sale, complete for $1000 or best offer by Aug 20 including some nos parts. What caught my attention was the postal code in the ad was very close to mine, turns out this car is a 5 min walk from my house...what to do, what to do. The deal in my house is no more than one NON-RUNNING project car at a time....well, my 54 is not running right now, but I so badly want to have a Stude gasser style of car, and this body stlye would be perfect....and my brother offered me the high-strung over-cammed, high compression 283 out of his 66 Acadian because I gave him a mild 350 a few years back. This would be a match made in heaven....oh boy oh boy oh boy! I do not have the money, or time right now and really should even consider this, but how often does a car you want show up so close to where you live. I'm scared to even mention this to the boss, and she'd be really pissed to have her car stuck out on the street to make room in the garage for another Stude. Do I go look at it...and cause myself a whole lot of grief....or do I let it slide, do I be rational, or stupid. Do I do what I know is good to keep the peace, or do I only think of myself.....hmmm, maybe I'll take a short 5 min walk this afternoon...and if some dumb old Studebaker follows me home am I to be held accountable? Gotta go wash the boss's car while I do some thinking. Cheers, Junior.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Didn't you just take the boss on a nice vacation??
              You should have some brownie points stored up, right?

Comment

It never hurts to at least look at a car, otherwise all you do is think about it...
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Take the walk, you'll curse yourself if you don't. BTW, your "rational, or stupid " is the wrong question. Promise your wife she can drive it when its done.

Comment

My brothers, sister and I learned early that if a used, distinctive car was parked around the corner for more than a few days, Dad had acquired another vehicle. He had to wait for the proper time to break the news to Mom. Mom always forgave him, as long as she had "one that drives." We were "the family with all those cars" (21), including 2 Studes.
                    Go for it!
                    Bob

Comment

I started buying Studebakers again about 7 years ago when I bought an Avanti. My wife said she would leave me if I bought another Studebaker. I have tried her out and bought 8 since then. She is still here.
                      Allen

Comment

Is there any way you could get your '54 "running" (technically speaking)? If so, you wouldn't be breaking house rules.

Comment

Reminds me of the Hank III song,,,"My Drinking Problem Left Today".

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                            Didn't you just take the boss on a nice vacation??
                            You should have some brownie points stored up, right?
                            Actually, in my house it's the other way around, the boss took me on a vactation...actually I tease her and call it a 'prison sentence' because it takes me away from the garage...this year my sentence was only a month long, usually it's six to eight weeks. (ya, I know, tough life 40 degree C days, cloudless skies day after relentless day in southern Italy) Regardless, I got the nerve up to mention the possibility of another Stude, and she was all ears, in fact she said 'go call the guy right now'...so I did, no answer, left a message, waiting to hear from the guy. Perhaps he was at the Studebaker/Packard picnic that was happening yesterday if he is indeed the guy that Gord R mentioned. I did go for a walk last night on the street where the address was, but no Stude in sight, so either it's in the guy's garage, or stored somewhere else...hopefully I get a chance to talk to the owner today. Junior...looking for trouble.
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Something must be wrong in your household if you need to ask every time you want a Studebaker, does your wife work and bring in the bacon? if so than thats a different story, if your are the household supplier then the choise is yours, don't you keep her happy when she wants things? is her car a new one? if so maybe it should be inthe garage or at least a covered area, easy enough for me to talk hah? well I have been married for 49 years to the same one and have never needed to ask about picking up a new Studebaker, and it has come to be that these cars and parts are making it possable to do other things now that I 'am retired, also my wife has not worked since we got married, oh she worked at home and taking care of 4 kids and with their needs and mine but at a job with a pay check, no, but then money is not the only thing of value but it all worked out very nice and all 4 kids have come out to be the type of people we wanted them to be. take the walk it will do you good....
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X