A "Green" Studebaker!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "Green" Studebaker!!!

I sold a hood for a 2R truck yesterday. Actually sold a few other pieces for it as well - door panels, STUDEBAKER scripts for the hood. I'm still looking for a few other tidbits the guy needs.
    But this sale led to an interesting conversation with the buyer regarding this 2R truck he's building. It's gonna be totally ELECTRIC!
    He's using a NASCAR racing truck frame as a base, but admitted he may have spent money for that uniqueness that wasn't really warranted. He thought a standard Ranger frame would have been adequate.
    The power system (drivetrain) is yet to be purchased although he knows which pieces he's gonna use. The one question at the moment is the batteries. Ni-MH is what's currently available, but the newer Li-Poly is coming to the fore, and while grossly more expensive at the moment, is expected to have a dramatic price drop over the next year or so - this according to the battery mfg'rs.
    100 miles to the charge! $3bucks worth of 110AC for that charge and 100,000 recharges with the Li-Poly batteries!

The guy had my head spinning after a half-hour chat about his project. He knows electricity pretty well, being a lighting technician in Hollyweird! He says he wants to go back and forth to work with his creation and wants it to look as cool as it will be underneath (inside too, as it'll sport AC).

I'm thinkin' "Hmmmmmmm..... I got that lightweight little Business Coupe just sitting on the rotisserie in the shop!"[]

I've invited him - Jerry - to the forum. Let's hope he shows up here and shares his progress.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

I find all this talk about electric Studebakers to be extremely SHOCKING! [)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I find all this talk about electric Studebakers to be extremely SHOCKING! [)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

If we converted a bunch of them they'd be considered "current"![:0]

I could start a blog about Electric Studes and their enthusiasts. I'd call it "Volts and Nuts".[}]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If we converted a bunch of them they'd be considered "current"![:0]

I could start a blog about Electric Studes and their enthusiasts. I'd call it "Volts and Nuts".[}]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

A friend suggested I do a $7000 electric motor conversion to my truck back when I told him I'd be putting in a rebuilt engine. I forget where he heard about this.

Biggsy, should it be called "Nuts with Volts"?

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

A friend suggested I do a $7000 electric motor conversion to my truck back when I told him I'd be putting in a rebuilt engine. I forget where he heard about this.

Biggsy, should it be called "Nuts with Volts"?

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Regarding the early history of Studebaker automobiles(and of course the trucks) all I can say is, "....and the evolution of the Studebaker comes full circle" . I think I mentioned ideas for electrics in a previous thread, and I find this pretty interesting about what will surface [:P].

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Regarding the early history of Studebaker automobiles(and of course the trucks) all I can say is, "....and the evolution of the Studebaker comes full circle" . I think I mentioned ideas for electrics in a previous thread, and I find this pretty interesting about what will surface [:P].

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                  [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                  [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                  [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                  [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Next we will be talking about steam powered Studebakers. Instead of a shifter we would have a "Johnson Rod".......

Comment

Next we will be talking about steam powered Studebakers. Instead of a shifter we would have a "Johnson Rod".......

Comment

Jeez...
                        Between rust, and electrolosis, and arc'ing, there isn't going to be anything left of an old Stude but four tires and a cracked dash pad[}]
                        Jeff[8D]
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeez...
                          Between rust, and electrolosis, and arc'ing, there isn't going to be anything left of an old Stude but four tires and a cracked dash pad[}]
                          Jeff[8D]
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Bob,

Funny you should bring this up. I called a fellow who has bought several crawler loaders from me to see if he wanted another one I had located. Pretty soon he was telling me about the S-10 electric truck that he had purchased a couple of years ago and was using for his 40 mile commute in the D.C. suburbs. He is using Nickel Metal Hydrate batteries in his now but is also looking forward to the next generation of batteries.

There is apparently a guy in Arizona who has all sorts of stuff for them. Steve also suggested going to the EV Trading Post on line to learn more.

Gary

Comment

Bob,

Funny you should bring this up. I called a fellow who has bought several crawler loaders from me to see if he wanted another one I had located. Pretty soon he was telling me about the S-10 electric truck that he had purchased a couple of years ago and was using for his 40 mile commute in the D.C. suburbs. He is using Nickel Metal Hydrate batteries in his now but is also looking forward to the next generation of batteries.

There is apparently a guy in Arizona who has all sorts of stuff for them. Steve also suggested going to the EV Trading Post on line to learn more.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X