No announcement yet.

FLAPS OHV-6 plug wire set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: FLAPS OHV-6 plug wire set?

The set I bought from O'Reilly's today just didn't fit. Wires too long and short for my 63 OHV-6.

Has anyone bought an off-the-shelf set that fits reasonably well? Thanks!

You used to be able to get trim-to-fit universal sets. The plug terminal already installed on one end; you cut the wire to length, and crimped on the distributor boot and terminal yourself.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

That's how I did it. Got a set of Accel 8.8mm for a V8 on eBay and a tool that one hits with a hammer to crimp the other end on and Still have lots left over for spares. The only thing is to be certain of the type of ends you want when buying the set. If you want stock looking then smaller wires will be the go.

Comment

Wow, gordr, that brought back memories!!!!
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I bought a set of universal trim-to-fit wires from my local NAPA dealer. Hated it! When I would pull a wire off the crimped wire would not hold. I then purchased a custom-fit set from SI and it fits perfectly and stays together when unplugging the wires.

Comment

Lark289, I had a similar experience and it soured me on DIY plug wires. Thanks, all!

Comment

Obviously we are talking about different quality wires. I have had these DIY wires off and on and on two different engines with not one pull apart. The tool to do the job is the critical part of the process. Also if the boots fit the wires without slip then the tension is not just on the metal clip.

Comment

Working...
              X