'53 Starliner Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53 Starliner Value

Need some input on this one I ran across this Starliner in the Northwest Georgia Craigslist and was considering making a phone call to my cousin to ask him go by and take a peek at it. As the saying goes, the value of anything is only worh what an individual is willing to pay for it but someone correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't a Studebaker fan have to be obsessed with a '53 Starliner to pay this much for one without an engine and transmission? I do realize that a solid and complete body is absolutely the single most important factor when considering any restoration but I'm thinking that without the engine and tranny and contingent on the body/frame being pretty much rock solid and complete, this car is worth at best about $1500...as you can see, it's already missing the trunk lock and trim but you have to wonder what else is missing and what else can't be salvaged. I assume you have to copy and paste the link in your browser to get to it.

The west-of-rockies contingent would agree with you. The northeast and midwest guys probably haven't seen a straight, mostly rust-free K-body in twenty years form which to make a pricing comparison. Location, location, location.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Who knows exactly how 'rust free' this car really is since it's sitting outside and on top of dirt? Betcha there is a lot more rust than meets the eye. Being a 53, and the fact it's a Starliner I'm willing to bet the owner will not have hard time selling this car to either someone who wants to restore it, or more likely someone who wants to rod it. Selling price may surprise you, and as you said it's only worth what one wants to pay. Most rodders don't have a huge problem paying inflated prices for cars they really want rod when they pay huge $ to have them built to their specifications by pros in rod shops...and a lot of rodders would want to have this car. Just saying...Junior.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I agree with Jack. I paid $2000 for a 55K that had mucho rust and the engine run dry of oil. I saw it and had to have it!
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Very true Jack, here in Florida, the humidity has always been a classic car killer and the only thing worse was living too close to the coast otherwise, you just have to shop for the ones that were garaged and protected from the elements. If there's any light at the end, at least they don't get a lot of snow in Northwest Georgia so road salt should not have been a factor. Humidity should be less than what we have here but at times can be high. The seller only mentions floor pans as far as rust goes but still...I'd be hard pressed to go anywhere near the asking price considering the appearance in those photos.

Comment

Yup, if a guy only wants the body then it would be a lot easier to Rat Rod it than it would be to restore it back to original...I'm not real supportive of the radical facelifts but salvaging it in any capacity beats letting it go to china as scrap...

Comment

Originally posted by Gator View Post
              Need some input on this one I ran across this Starliner in the Northwest Georgia Craigslist and was considering making a phone call to my cousin to ask him go by and take a peek at it. As the saying goes, the value of anything is only worh what an individual is willing to pay for it but someone correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't a Studebaker fan have to be obsessed with a '53 Starliner to pay this much for one without an engine and transmission? I do realize that a solid and complete body is absolutely the single most important factor when considering any restoration but I'm thinking that without the engine and tranny and contingent on the body/frame being pretty much rock solid and complete, this car is worth at best about $1500...as you can see, it's already missing the trunk lock and trim but you have to wonder what else is missing and what else can't be salvaged. I assume you have to copy and paste the link in your browser to get to it.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/2509417818.html
              Don't sell short the presence of the grill surrounds and bars. They appear to be in nice shape and are becoming impossible to find in that shape. The parts alone are well worth cost in the listing as all the Stainless and diecast parts are present and appear to be in good condition.

The worry part is the frame. Setting in the position this one was can result in total destruction of the frame. I'll never forget the Avanti I looked at two years back setting in a Michigan woods like that. I reached underneath and could crumble the frame with my hands.

Frame are available that can be modified to fit but it is a lot of work. On the other hand, the frame may decent and in that case, the price is darn fair.

Bob

Comment

Hmmmm...did I mention I was considering placing a call to my cousin to have him take a peek at it? I can't see it from 400 miles away but he knows old cars and would go over it with a passion. Like Jack said, in the end, it does come down to location and in comparing exposure to the elements, I'm quite sure that the southern states are more kind to the classics than the northeast and midwest states...that said, if all the glass is intact, interior trim is for the most part all there, body trim is pretty much still intact and provided that the right side appears as good as the left (at least comparing photos) and the frame is still solid, I would probably go $2000 but I think that would be my cap considering that I would have to locate and purchase an engine/tranny donor but that's another challenge in itself...I dunno, I haven't bought anything old in so long that I'm out of touch with values...for all I know, the seller may be offering it at a bargain price.

Comment

We still get plenty of humidity up here in north Georgia. I could go look at the car anytime next week if you'd like. I'm familiar with what to look for rust-wise and could take better photos.

Comment

Hi Matthew, thanks so much for the offer. I see that you're located in Fayetteville and considering that you must be at least 45 miles from Carrolton, I wouldn't want to put you out unless you're already planning on being in the area. Honestly, I was kind of debating whether or not to ask my cousin since his wife just lost her father earlier this week but I was planning on letting things settle down a little before I called him. I would appreciate additional photos if you are planning on being in the area though.

Comment

I would have to locate and purchase an engine/tranny donor
                      Stude V8s and transmissions are still thick on the ground. You can't turn around without stumbling over a 259". Buy it and I'll build you a 259" or 289" to your specs. All it takes is money.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

i would say that is still a high price for that car!! just my opinion.
                        Kevin Phillips
                        Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

If the humidity in that part of Georgia is anything like here, I would hope the car has not been sitting outside too many years. The moisture seeps into every crevice and rusts cars that sit outside. The vegetation around the car is a clue. I would want to jack that car up and do a close inspection before paying much for it if I wanted to restore that particular car. Still, someone will probably buy it anyway because of the style.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

With what I can see of the body, trim and glass, it looks like $2500 to me.
                            He calls it a "Starlite(sic), but it is not a Starlight, it is a Starliner as you referred to it as.
                            I can not tell if it is a Champion or Commander.
                            It looks like an excellent start for someone that wants to make a restorod.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If the seller had posted it for $500 or $1000 then it would be sitting in my garage and we wouldn't be debating price but it's $2750 and not a bargain by any standard however I think we all tend to form an opinion of the value based on the area of the country we live in and what the same car of comparable condition would be worth where we live. That's the normal response and if you factor in an individuals desire to have a particular model that is rare in his part of the country and then compensate for the condition such as being exceptional in the northern part of the country or just fair for the southern areas then the value is spread over a wider spectrum. I'm thinking that if the seller is sitting on $2750 then its not going to move real fast unless like some of you reponded, a buyer wants it for a restorod or ratrod. Restoring it back to original would definitely be more involved and a buyer would have to consider everything that's missing, broken, unusable or repairable. Then again, it is a '53 and it is a Starliner 2 door hardtop coupe so the base value is in place while condition is still questionable...it all comes down to human nature and value being what an individual is willing to pay for something. I did find a listing on the Jacksonville Craigslist where a guy has a good running 259 with 3 speed for $800 but then again, this car may have been an automatic...oh well, my head hurts.

Comment

Working...
                              X