Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Paint from Studebaker Intl. Issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Paint from Studebaker Intl. Issues!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2119.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1733869Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2120.JPG
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1733868Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1733870

Just got my engine paint from SI, the mixing instructions seemed a bit off, so I called. (label says 8 parts paint 1 part reducer) There was a super nice lady that answered the phone but explained she had no idea. She put me on hold, returned to inform me that "Ed says to follow the instructions on the label, they are correct". I tell her that based on my limited paint knowledge they seem wrong, really wrong. I ask to talk to Ed to make myself feel better, hold again, and the repeat of "follow the label it is correct". And that Ed is the owner so he must be correct. She says I may want to call the people who supply the paint, however, they do not give out suppliers names.

So I google the manufacturer and call them. I read the instructions aloud, and hear " I can think of no reason you would mix this paint in that manner". They politely point me at the Tech Data Sheet (see photo). They also say that without a hardener the paint will dry, but will not be anywhere close to its intended strength and durability.

After studying the can, far longer than I want, I notice the local suppliers name. Rollie's Paint Spot. I call and talk to Lee. Very nice gentleman, who seems a bit confused by the label as well. He says he thinks it is supposed to be 3 to 1. Exactly! But when I ask about the hardener he says they don't use it because they put it in aerosol cans for people too.

Hopefully this saves one person from following the label and obeying Ed. I would have had a nicely painted engine, briefly.

Depends on the paint I guess, but the cheap, $34.95/gallon body paint I buy is "pre-thinned" and needs very little reducer compared to the name brand stuff. Also, engine paint may well require a different ratio than body paint.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

U-Tech 200 is a URETHANE paint. It is a general-purpose Fleet/Industry/Automotive refinish product. Not a specific engine enamel, or rated for high temperatures.

It is not designed to be sprayed without activator (hardener). Repeat, it is NOT a acrylic enamel or a or alkyd enamel, it is a urethane that is chemically formulated requiring the activator.

Anybody stating it dosen't need an activator is disregarding the manfacturer AkzoNobel.

Lacking the activator (yet made to require it), I doubt it would have resistance to gasoline or oil.
      Last edited by 4jc8z; 08-10-2011, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4jc8z View Post
        U-Tech 200 is a URETHANE paint. It is a general-purpose Fleet/Industry/Automotive refinish product. Not a specific engine enamel, or rated for high temperatures.

It is not designed to be sprayed without activator (hardener). Repeat, it is NOT a acrylic enamel or a or alkyd enamel, it is a urethane that is chemically formulated requiring the activator.

Anybody stating it dosen't need an activator is disregarding the manfacturer AkzoNobel.

Lacking the activator (yet made to require it), I doubt it would have resistance to gasoline or oil.
        4jc8z, beat me to it, so I'll just add, be sure you are wearing good spray gear with new cartridges as these compounds are NOT!!! lung friendly.

Bob

Comment

Get your paint from Chuck Collins you will never get an answer like that.

Comment

4jc8z, beat me to it, so I'll just add, be sure you are wearing good spray gear with new cartridges as these compounds are NOT!!! lung friendly.

CORRECT! the urethane paints contain isocyanites!! do not paint without a QUALITY respirator

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Brings up a related question in my mind:

What exactly is the correct paint/procedure to produce a durable, glossy show finish on an engine? We've all used spray-bomb 'Engine Enamel' which is usually acceptable, but what if it's a high-end show car? Is there even anything that will last?
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                Brings up a related question in my mind:

What exactly is the correct paint/procedure to produce a durable, glossy show finish on an engine? We've all used spray-bomb 'Engine Enamel' which is usually acceptable, but what if it's a high-end show car? Is there even anything that will last?
                I have a friend with an exceptionally nice R2 Hawk (took Best of Division at the recent International meet). His engine was painted using ceramic based paints, including clear. It looks fantastic.

Can't really see too much of the actual engine, but this is the only photo I have.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I did wear my respirator so not sure how bad it was. I suppose I should not be surprised that the "engine paint" I bought was in fact not that at all, based on the support given. Sadly I have thrown the first coat on by the time I read this. Lets hope she holds.

That R2 motor is beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    I have a friend with an exceptionally nice R2 Hawk (took Best of Division at the recent International meet). His engine was painted using ceramic based paints, including clear. It looks fantastic.

Can't really see too much of the actual engine, but this is the only photo I have.

]
                    Why would he stick that "CAUTION-FAN" sticker on there (in your face) when the rest of the engine compartment looks so good?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This is what I was thinking of, R3 by Nimesh. One of the most beautiful-looking engines I've ever seen, and just what I want my R2 to look like. I have wondered how he got it to shine like that, and how durable it was:

Click image for larger version

Name:	studeR3.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1670353
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                        This is what I was thinking of, R3 by Nimesh. One of the most beautiful-looking engines I've ever seen, and just what I want my R2 to look like. I have wondered how he got it to shine like that, and how durable it was:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10523[/ATTACH]
                        Nimesh did the R2 in the Hawk.

Comment

Not to be argumentative here, but, unless there has been some development in the past six years I am not aware of, there is absolutely no canister face mask acceptable for paints containing isocyanate. Absolutely none.

To meet regulations for these paints, you are supposed to use a full body suit and mask with breathable air supplied by a breathable air pump. Technically, you are not even supposed to expose your skin to this stuff. Bullard and Sata are two popular brands that manufacture these systems.

I sold all types and had a difficult time convincing some people of the dangers. My best carbon filter canister masks were not approved for urethane catalyzed paints. Those who worked day in and day out in spray booths without using proper protection were out sick often. Many of them didn't last long on the job. There are what is known as half face mask that are set up for a supplied air system. Those do not protect your bare skin. You might be able to get away with it for a hobby application, but frequent exposure will certainly take its toll.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Too many decals, that a few points off .
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Richard, might I suggest you message Ed with your findings? He's registered here under the handle Stratovue.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X