Stude Royalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Royalty

I had the unique opportunity to field a phone call from much admired Ted Harbit today. It was an honor to get to talk to someone that has that much knowledge and expertise on Studebakers. Let alone his racing history and recovery from the accident.
    I work part time for "Ididit", who manufactures Steering columns and related parts and accessories for the hot rod industry. I happened to catch the call, was a fun 5 minutes.
    Thank you, Ted,
    Kim

Small world. I'm looking at Ididit columns for my Lark project to go with the Borgeson PS box conversion.

I know what you mean about talking to Ted. In spite of his status he's a wonderful person and always friendly and humble.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

OK, since someone else brought it up.
      Several months ago I was looking on one of the site pages and happened to look at who else was on. I never do that.
      Just Ted Harbit and myself. WHOA, COOL !
      I know how you feel about being in the presence of royalty.
      Everything I've heard about him has been good.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Ted's just a regular guy, doing what he loves over the past 50 years...

That said, I'm planning to attend the Pure Stock drags this year, mainly to watch him run again. Something special about watching him rocket down the strip in a Stude.

Comment

I have seen Ted race a few times in fact even ran against him but that was one sided to say the least, but I live in California and have been to the PSMCR a few years ago and will be there again this Sept. if I can drive from California to watch and some drivers drive many hundred miles to put on this show I think the rest of us could make a trip to watch, stop and think how many more PSMCR is Ted going to make? a lot I hope but then one never knows, lets get with it and have a big turn out in Stanton MI. in Sept. been there done that .
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Yep. Ted e-mailed the other day about running The Stude Tomato in the eighth past Sunday, August 7th, at an old-timers meet at Bunker Hill Drag Strip just above Kokomo, IN. 60-foot times in the 2.1s, which is what he was practicing...oh, heck, I'll just cut and paste and you can read it for your own self:

'Took The Tomato to Bunker Hill today for an "Old Timers" meet. Saw a LOT of guys I haven't seen in years. 'Big crowd with LOTS of cars, rods, etc. Tomato was a big hit but some had trouble believing it was on street tires, full exhaust, etc.

If it had been running like it should, would have impressed them more. Or if The Wrapper had been there . . .

First run: 2.2310 60-foot, 6.0479 330', 9.2658 @ 76.64 mph. Up to my old senile tricks again. It sputtered in second and third about 5000 rpm. Shifted into fourth just before the finish so didn't sputter there. Reason? Low on gas! 'Think must drink it as I put 10 gallon in it last April.

Next run: 2.2360 60-foot, 5.9521, 9.0711 @ 78.65. Spun bad. First run, came off low so didn't spin. Speed down a lot but Bunker always has slower speeds for some reason but this is really slow. Temperature about 94 so didn't expect too much but wanted better than this.

About 2:00 a guy came around and said to get ready for a storm. Predicted lot of rain, wind and maybe hail.

Decided to try one more run and get headed home.

Third run: 2.1782 6--foot, 5.8471, 8.8660 @ 81.38. Speed more like it. Ran to the finish line in third; about 6400 across the line.

Loaded up, helped Fred (Ford buddy) load his and headed home. Rain started before I left the track and poured most of the way home.

May go to Muncie Wednesday night. Steve Vanderwall just emailed me and said he might go so I may too if it cools down some like it's supposed to. Ted

I returned the e-mail and asked Ted to let me know if he was going to Muncie Wednesday evening, August 10th. If so, I plan to go over and take some pictures and will post a report after the evening's adventure. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

MEMO FYI: The 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race is Friday, September 16 and Saturday, September 17, 2011.

If you can attend only Saturday, get there as early as possible, although "we" no longer have to vacate the grounds by 3PM as it was until a couple years ago. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm gonna drive all Friday night, leave the dog with a house sitter and bring a camera. Cheers.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I have the opportunity to make it to the DRAGS this year finally for the first time, cant wait THANKS Duane!
                  Tom
                  sigpic

Comment

Cool beans, guys! 'Looks like we're gonna have a big turnout. Great. BP

Comment

"Come-one Come-all" OLd style drag racing at it's best...Drive your Studebaker if you can. We need to fill up our corral. Here are some pictures from a few years ago.http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/ac1/jeds55/
                      See you there.
                      Jim
                      sigpic

Comment

Any place to clean the bugs off a Stude, Jim? I have a volunteer co-pilot. He used to tease me saying "more loose screws than a Studebaker". I took him on the road for a short tour, yesterday, and now he wants to come to Michigan with me!

Comment

Barrie,
                          There should be some place in Edmore, Michigan to wash the bugs off. Stanton, Michigan is small but there might be something there. If all else fails try a bucket an sponge at the drag strip.
                          Jim
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                            Any place to clean the bugs off a Stude, Jim? I have a volunteer co-pilot. He used to tease me saying "more loose screws than a Studebaker". I took him on the road for a short tour, yesterday, and now he wants to come to Michigan with me!
                            Yes, Dave: When you have found the drag strip, go south from the strip (on Wyman Road) to the T, which is the east-west road to Stanton.

Turn west (right) and go about a mile to the first stop light.

Right there at the stop light, on your right (north), is a combination gas station /convenience store / coin-operated car wash where you can clean up.

It's less than 3 miles from the track, total. BP

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. The car is not a competitor, but it cleans up really well. 259, 2 bbl, single exhaust, DG 200M and 331 gears. Not much of a hole shot, but it cruises at 70 mph with little effort. This will be its first major trip and I can't wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X