Avanti Trivia Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Trivia Question

What material was the major portion of Avanti bodies made of? Give response by year or year range.

Depending on the response, I thought that I would try trivia questions from time to time.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

To the best of my knowledge it was fiberglass reinforced resin fro start to finish !!! ??? 62 to end of production 2006?

Comment

Originally posted by radiotech View Post
      To the best of my knowledge it was fiberglass reinforced resin fro start to finish !!! ??? 62 to end of production 2006?
      Incorrect ----
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

This is off the immediate subject BUT......rumors persist that a 'metal' Avanti was built, sometime early in the Studebaker production run. Anyone have further information? stupak

Comment

I'm not sure if you are looking for a chemical breakdown of the material an Avanti body is made of, but an essential component of fiberglass is Boron.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
            This is off the immediate subject BUT......rumors persist that a 'metal' Avanti was built, sometime early in the Studebaker production run. Anyone have further information? stupak
            I believe that prototype steel Avanti style prototype/design models were made, but my trivia refers to production models.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              I'm not sure if you are looking for a chemical breakdown of the material an Avanti body is made of, but an essential component of fiberglass is Boron.

Craig
              No, I am not looking for the composition of Fiberglas.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I believe Steve Blake changed the material to a Kevlar composition that could be formed in larger pieces so there would be far fewer pieces that needed to be bonded together. That would save many man-hours of labor as the 100+ piece fiberglass bodies took hundreds of man-hours to assemble.

It was the Kevlar based bodies that had the problems of the new Deltron paint not adhering, which was a big part of the bankruptcy of Avanti Motors.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  I believe Steve Blake changed the material to a Kevlar composition that could be formed in larger pieces so there would be far fewer pieces that needed to be bonded together. That would save many man-hours of labor as the 100+ piece fiberglass bodies took hundreds of man-hours to assemble.

It was the Kevlar based bodies that had the problems of the new Deltron paint not adhering, which was a big part of the bankruptcy of Avanti Motors.
                  You are on the correct track, but incorrect owner/time frame and not tied into the paint problem.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    What material was the major portion of Avanti bodies made of? Give response by year or year range.

Depending on the response, I thought that I would try trivia questions from time to time.
                    Fiberglass except for the '90 four-door sedans and the '91 convertibles which were kevlar.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I believe they called it FRP (fiber glass reinforced plastic) The plastic being an epoxy binder.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                        I believe they called it FRP (fiber glass reinforced plastic) The plastic being an epoxy binder.
                        One experimental Studebaker I sure hope to see restored someday is the 1947 Champion 2-door wagon with body panels and roof made of FRP. The threads in the woven mat were tinted and meant to be exposed behind a few mils of clear epoxy on the outside surface. Behind the matting was colored resin a different shade to contrast with the matting, which gave it a fine basket weave texture with some depth to it. How well the original body stood up while exposed to the weather is a good question, but it would still be nice to see it restored.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                          Fiberglass except for the '90 four-door sedans and the '91 convertibles which were kevlar.
                          Very Good, Paul J.! It took longer than I expected. I expected some Avanti expert, or good researcher, to jump right in with the answer. I will post another trivia question.

Avanti bodies:
                          1963-1985 Fiberglas
                          1987-1989 Fiberglas
                          1990-1991 Kevlar
                          2001-2007 Fiberglas
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            One experimental Studebaker I sure hope to see restored someday is the 1947 Champion 2-door wagon with body panels and roof made of FRP. The threads in the woven mat were tinted and meant to be exposed behind a few mils of clear epoxy on the outside surface. Behind the matting was colored resin a different shade to contrast with the matting, which gave it a fine basket weave texture with some depth to it. How well the original body stood up while exposed to the weather is a good question, but it would still be nice to see it restored.

Craig
                            Craig,
                            There were two '47 Champion wagons, right? The one the Museum is hopefully soon to be done restoring is not the one you refer to, correct? I am not aware of the one you refer to as having survived. Do you know otherwise? Not challenging you, just trying to clarify. Is it still in the Graveyard?

And anyone else that replies, please be aware that there were two '47 wagons. The one rescued from the Graveyard with no FRP is the one being restored by the Museum.
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                              Craig,
                              There were two '47 Champion wagons, right? The one the Museum is hopefully soon to be done restoring is not the one you refer to, correct? I am not aware of the one you refer to as having survived. Do you know otherwise? Not challenging you, just trying to clarify. Is it still in the Graveyard?

And anyone else that replies, please be aware that there were two '47 wagons. The one rescued from the Graveyard with no FRP is the one being restored by the Museum.
                              That's right, Kurt. The Woody is the one the museum has been restoring for several years now. The 'glas wagon was hauled out of the Graveyard in the early 70's and as far as I know, hasn't been seen since.
                              Last edited by mbstude; 08-09-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X