overdrive questions 1960 6 cylinder (red) Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: overdrive questions 1960 6 cylinder (red) Lark

Simply throw the toggle switch while you accelerate to normal traffic speed. If the solenoid is working, it will shift to overdrive when you slack off the gas. Once in overdrive, it will stay there until the switch is turned off, even if you come to a stop and shift into reverse. That can be trouble, which is why the manufacturer went to all the trouble to provide a governor, relay, and kickdown switch.

Your governor should still be there, or else there will be something else plugging the rather large hole it occupied.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I drove my truck that way for several years before I took the trouble to find a governor. It works very well, you become the governor, but you have to remember to do your job. You can pull the OD handle out, locking out the OD and drive as a normal 3 speed. You can then push start and won't have freewheeling.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

thanis for the quick feedback ... i am wondering what trouble there would be should i ever forget to turn off the toggle switch for the solenoid

Comment

If you forget to turn off the solenoid, you wont' be able to shift into reverse. Other than that, you'll be starting in overdrive, no need to shift into it at speed. Your flathead 170 will seem really underpowered.

Comment

thanks .... iwill try it and post what happens ... i am assuming if i cant shift into reverse all i would need to do is turn off the toggle ... is that true?

Comment

if I cant shift into reverse all I would need to do is turn off the toggle ... is that true?

Correct

Comment

Thanks ... I just looked under and I don’t see any governor .. I do see what seems to be a plug with silicone sealer on the overdrive part of the trans on the passenger side … if someone removed the governor and I use the overdrive what consequence would that have?

Comment

While you might cause the engine to 'lug', you won't hurt the overdrive.

Comment

well i took it out yesterday and followed the above instructions and it worked perfectly ... thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                    X