PDA

View Full Version : Steering Replacing steering gearbox and shaft

tomnoller
08-07-2011, 11:40 AM
The car is my 63 Daytona with what I believe is a real sloppy Saginaw gear. I replaced virtually all the other steering components in my rebuild, and this has to be the culprit.

Fortunately, I have a 4-post lift now and can raise the car to work comfortably under it. I'm thinking if I pop the steering wheel off, picklefork the pittman arm and remove the 4 bolts that hold the box to the frame, it should slide right down...right?

That's just too simple...

PackardV8
08-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi, Tom,

I've got a Saginaw box from a Daytona if yours isn't rebuildable. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it to you from Spokane. PM me if you are going to need one.

jack vines

1954khardtop
08-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't know if you can angle it enough to clear the cross member. It would have to move forward as it moves down 'til the shaft clears the mast. It can't hurt to try, it'll save you time if it works, nothing lost if it doesn't. If it won't clear you can take it out the other way, through the floor and into the car.

tomnoller
08-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks Guys!

I'll get under it today and see if it clears.
Jack, I have 2 spares I took off parts cars before they went to the crusher, thanks!

2moredoors
08-07-2011, 12:44 PM
If it won't clear you can take it out the other way, through the floor and into the car.
I just did mine (actually had it done) on my '55 President with a Ross steering box and we pulled it out through and into the car. Had to remove the exhaust manifold on the left side. It takes quite a bit of time as all the directionals/hor etc. have to be taken into consideration. Works well now I am quite pleased.
Good luck!