New to Site with Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Site with Question...

Hello out there my name is Stuart and I am new to the site. I have just inherited a 1955 4 door President. Let me preface this by saying that I don't want to be "that guy" trying to sell parts on the introduction. I am not familiar with Studebaker parts etc. and really would like to gain a realistic view on my situation. The car has been sitting in my inlaws "wooded" lot for a while so I am thinking of parting the car out. The mouldings and interior goodies/accessories are actually in really good shape. Is there much of a market for trim moulding etc. on this year car? I appreciate who ever replies to this quesiton, in advance! Cool Forum!

Hi Stu, and welcome.

What is the overall condition of the car, and how is equipped? If the car is well-equipped, and restorable, it might be worth more intact. Even if the car is plain-Jane President (which is kind of a contradiction in terms), it would be rare for you to be able to part it out and get more money than a sale of the whole thing as a parts car would fetch. Figure on two full days of your time to part it out to the point of saving everything potentially salable, plus then you have to find storage for all the bulky parts that must be kept out of the elements, and storage/classification for all the small parts, so you can find them when the demand crops up for one.

Things that would be in demand: engine, transmission, especially automatic or overdrive (straight 3-speed not so much), power steering if so equipped, brake drums if good, rear anti-sway bar, radio, windshield if good. The stainless trim, it has some value, but relatively few people restore 4 door sedans. None of the trim from 4-doors fits the popular coupes and hardtops. Ditto for body parts, with a few trivial exceptions.

It should be noted that there were TWO 1955 sedan models. Midway through the year, they changed from a simple curved windshield to a wrap-around style. The body and front fenders are different as a result. At the same time, IIRC, the V8 engine was changed from 224 to 259 cubic inches. It would be good to note which model you have. The difference in the windshield if dramatic; the ends of the wrap-around style basically face the sides of the car. The engine type can be determined by finding the engine number, which you can find stamped into a machined surface on the top of the block just forward of the oil fill stack.

If the car looks like it would be restorable, I'd say selling it intact as a project is the way to go. Unless you want to make a career out selling Studebaker parts, selling it intact as a parts car is also probably the way to go. The grim reality is, that unless you constantly work at selling the parts, people soon forget that you have parts, and stop calling. So after you sell a few major parts, the calls taper off, and you are left with a slew of unsold parts, taking up space on your premises. It's much easier to get rid of a whole car than a whole car's worth of parts. Ask any of the vendors here. But vendors will take on a whole car, because that is what they do; and they price the parts they do sell to cover in some way the overhead on the parts that don't sell.

Hope this helps.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

WOW that is a ton of information for me! Thank you very much. I am not sure which one of the models that I have. I will have to drive back down there to take a look. This car is pretty rough. Floors are shot as with alot of other stuff. I come more from the hotrod world, building model a coupes etc., so I am truly a novice in the Studebaker world. I figured that the motor and trans were wirth some money but like I stated earlier, I wasn't too sure about the rest. I would love to sell the entire thing to get it off of the property. Just didn't think someone would want to but an unrepairable car. Any VENDORS interested out there? Thanks again for your time and valuable knowledge! Take it easy.

Comment

I need the turn signal switch If it goes to an SDC vendor, I may just end up with that switch. Bob Petersen (CandBstudebakers) will be heading to Minnesota next month and knows lots of Stude people there. Hey Bob!!! found my signal switch, yet? (lol)
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

333stu and Gord - All 1955 Presidents came with a 259 cubic inch V8. 1955 Commanders started the year with the 224 and then switched to the 259.

For things to save/sell, I would suggest the engine, transmission (especially if it is the first gear start 250M automatic), radio, grille/park lights and bumpers.

If you are not active in the Studebaker world, you are better off selling the car as a whole. It sounds like $300-$500 with the bit of description provided.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Once in a while you see a rodder choose the Stude motor for a project. Cool and different. It would look good in your next model A.

Comment

Ideal buyer would be someone who is restoring one and would like a parts car.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Thank you very much for the response. After hearing everyones great responses it sounds like it would be in my best interest to sell the entire thing. I was thinking of putting it on Ebay with a no reserve. I saw one exactly like mine, except different color and in better shape, on ebay at a current bid of 1400. At this point $500 sounds good to me. There are alot of good pieces left on the car for anyones resto. Thanks again! Stu

Comment

I did think about it. The motors do look pretty cool!

Comment

This is an example of a newbie that I like to help. I received a private message of thanks from him.

If you post pictures showing exterior and interior and perhaps a close up of the grille, some here would be able to give a better assessment of value and you may be able to sell it without going through eBay. I do believe that eBay is usually the best way to establish a value of something.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X