No announcement yet.

What was the purpose of 2nd gear start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the purpose of 2nd gear start?

[?]Not a bash or flame or whatever, I was just curious as to why if they had 3 gears, they didn't use all 3 of them? DId they just work better that way, or what? [?][?] Can you tell I just read the new co-operator about 2nd-gear staring?

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

I am just guessing, but it was probably for smoothness. Buyers were interested in smoothness back then. The early 4 speed Hydromatics had a reputation for jerky shifts. They also probably thought the first gear wasn't needed unless you had to get out of a rut.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I am just guessing, but it was probably for smoothness. Buyers were interested in smoothness back then. The early 4 speed Hydromatics had a reputation for jerky shifts. They also probably thought the first gear wasn't needed unless you had to get out of a rut.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Like the "granny gear" in a truck or something?

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Like the "granny gear" in a truck or something?

Comment

I believe that the second gear starts were for smoothness and economy. First gear is there for when you want/need it.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe that the second gear starts were for smoothness and economy. First gear is there for when you want/need it.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Actually, first gear was just to get you rolling. Second gear really was the gear to accelerate with before going into 3rd.
                It's the same with my '30 Model A Ford. Most times I can start in 2nd. I do this all the time at stop signs without any strain on the transmission.
                Of course with my Lark, it's academic. It has Flight-o-matic.

Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Actually, first gear was just to get you rolling. Second gear really was the gear to accelerate with before going into 3rd.
                  It's the same with my '30 Model A Ford. Most times I can start in 2nd. I do this all the time at stop signs without any strain on the transmission.
                  Of course with my Lark, it's academic. It has Flight-o-matic.

Rog

Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

My guess is SNOW. 2nd gear starts cause less wheel spin.[?] That said
                    I have never driven in snow, and swapped my FOM for a TH700R4. Best
                    money I ever spent on my Hawk.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

My guess is SNOW. 2nd gear starts cause less wheel spin.[?] That said
                      I have never driven in snow, and swapped my FOM for a TH700R4. Best
                      money I ever spent on my Hawk.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

My guess is SNOW.
                        Seems backwards to me. Some areas have no snow (or very little) Those areas with snow don't have it year round. Why design a trans for that? Plus, three speed autos have the capability to start in 2nd gear when selected.

I'd go with the smoothness concept...probably also why the Dynaflow ([xx(]) was invented.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

My guess is SNOW.
                          Seems backwards to me. Some areas have no snow (or very little) Those areas with snow don't have it year round. Why design a trans for that? Plus, three speed autos have the capability to start in 2nd gear when selected.

I'd go with the smoothness concept...probably also why the Dynaflow ([xx(]) was invented.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've stated this before, probably too many times before- I put the first gear start valve body in the FOM in my '64 and I LOVE it. Makes around town driving much more fun. Stude had the first gear start in the FOMs in early '56 and dropped it. I believe it was because of the noticable downshift to first gear. Doesn't bother me, but those folks back in the fifties wanted smooth everything. That's why they hated Elvis.

I haven't driven it in the snow yet, but that is a good point- low end torque is your enemy in snow.

Comment

I've stated this before, probably too many times before- I put the first gear start valve body in the FOM in my '64 and I LOVE it. Makes around town driving much more fun. Stude had the first gear start in the FOMs in early '56 and dropped it. I believe it was because of the noticable downshift to first gear. Doesn't bother me, but those folks back in the fifties wanted smooth everything. That's why they hated Elvis.

I haven't driven it in the snow yet, but that is a good point- low end torque is your enemy in snow.

Comment

Working...
                              X