No announcement yet.

Transplanting Avanti II suspension to '53 Commander K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Transplanting Avanti II suspension to '53 Commander K

I just acquired a bunch of parts from a '76 Avanti II. These parts are a complete drum to drum rear axle assembly including springs and anti-sway bar. Also got the complete front suspension (minus the srpings) including the upper and lower control arms, kingpins, etc. plus the brake rotors and calipers. My question is will these parts (aside from the rear springs which I know are different) bolt to my '53 Commander Starliner?

Thanks
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

yes and no.

If you want to use the front suspension you will have to use the WHOLE front suspension, or at least the kingpins and lower knuckles need to be used in matched sets - there was a change in the early 60's for more caster. Additionally, if you use the Avanti II lower control arms I assume that those would be late style so you will have to get new shocks, or alternately, use your old lower control arms which means you'll probably need new bushings. I'm fairly certain the front sway bar will work, but not 100% sure.

The rear axle should bolt in, but the Avanti rear sway bar will not work. I am not certain if you'll need wedges to correct the pinion angle or not. You can use a sway bar from an old sedan, or from a super package '63-64 Lark or Hawk (if from a Lark you may need new brackets to mount to frame I think.) The good news is that if I were a betting man I would say that the spring plates on your '53 should likely have the tabs for the sway bar links on it already so you don't need to source those.
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for the info Nate! I do have the complete front suspension (kingpins, knuckles, shocks, etc.) everything but the coil srpings and my intention is to bolt it all on. Good news on the rear axle because I'll have flanged axles with self adjusting brakes! I don't have the parking brake cables from the Avanti rear axle; do you know if my '53 cables will work for that? Thanks again!
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

I haven't a clue whether your e-brake cables will work or not. I also assume that your Avanti brakes are not self-adjusting but are 11" non-self-energizing drums similar to the Studebaker Avanti and disc brake equipped Larks and Hawks, but I have to admit that my knowledge of Avanti IIs is limited.

Another consideration that I forgot to mention in my post was that you probably will need to either modify or replace your master cylinder; my understanding is that the disc brake cars use a different residual pressure valve than the drum brake cars. Also if you wish to use the Dunlop discs from the Avanti II if you don't have a power booster you probably will find that you will want to add one. Since you have a C-K what you'll want to use is essentially a master cylinder and Hydrovac intended for a disc brake GT Hawk. If you currently have manual brakes you'll need to replace (or possibly modify? not sure if it is possible) the brake pedal itself as well as the power and non-power C-Ks used a different pedal ratio.

Essentially, what I think you probably should do, if you intend to use the brakes from the Avanti II, is sit down with the '64 parts book and see what is different from what you have, that'll tell you what you need to find to make this all a painless swap.

Another option that you may wish to consider unless the Avanti II discs are in good shape is to use a disc brake conversion like that sold by Turner with 56-66 drum brake rear brakes, I've heard tell that that combo can work OK without power brakes and also the total cost may be roughly equivalent to that of rebuilding a Studebaker/Dunlop disc system that needs a full overhaul with sleeves etc. Might want to assess the condition of the parts you have and get in touch with Jim Turner before committing to a particular course of action.

I think that I would still go ahead and at least use the front sway bar, and possibly try to source a rear one that will fit your car. Additionally, the Avanti rear end will have the sway bar tabs on it so that is still useful. Not sure if one would have to modify the backing plates if you were going to put standard Stude 10" drums on it or not, or if that is even possible (or if one would have to use drums from an original flanged axle rear end.) Fairborn Studebaker might be a good resource to whom to ask these questions, as they sell the conversion kits with the Moser axles and should be able to tell you what will and won't work.

I put a late model front sway bar and '55 President rear bar on my '55 coupe; I got the replacement bushings from Dave Thibeault.

good luck
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Thanks again Nate!

Comment

Avanti Motors changed rear brakes in 1971. They were still 11" drums but non-interchangeable with earlier rear brakes used from '63-1970 in Avanti's. They used different brake shoes as well. They were self-adjusting unlike the earlier brakes.

The good part is the later brake parts are generally much less expensive than the original design.

The parking brake cable for a '76 Avanti is different from the earlier design. A '76 Avanti used a '67-'82 Corvette brake handle situated between the seats rather than a pull handle under the dash. You may have to measure and fabricate your own brake cable. I'm not aware of a bolt-in cable set.

I also agree with the recommendation to get the Turner disc brake conversion kit.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

What happened to the 1976 Avanti II that it is losing its suspension? There were only 157 Avanti IIs built for 1976.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                Avanti Motors changed rear brakes in 1971. They were still 11" drums but non-interchangeable with earlier rear brakes used from '63-1970 in Avanti's. They used different brake shoes as well. They were self-adjusting unlike the earlier brakes.
                I didn't know that... thanks for chiming in.

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

The Avanti II is being "resto-modded" by a very high quality shop in my neighborhood. The Avanti owner wants everything upgraded and the shop has installed a Mustang II front clip w/rack & pinion and disc brakes as well as a F**d 9" rear end with disc brakes and a 4 link suspension with coil-overs. The Ch**y 400" small block has been replaced by a DART 427" small block w/aluminum heads and a lot more modifications. I haven't met the Avanti owner, but it appears to me he wants a very fast car that goes around corners equally quickly and stops very well. "His money, his car".

Comment

The good part is the later brake parts are generally much less expensive than the original design.

The parking brake cable for a '76 Avanti is different from the earlier design. A '76 Avanti used a '67-'82 Corvette brake handle situated between the seats rather than a pull handle under the dash. You may have to measure and fabricate your own brake cable. I'm not aware of a bolt-in cable set.

I also agree with the recommendation to get the Turner disc brake conversion kit.
                    I believe that the later Stude platform based Avanti's as you described used common GM 11" drums like on a 1970's Chevy Impala, etc. so you may be able to use 1970's Chevelle, etc. E brake cables to hook up to the OP's 1953..........
                    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                      I believe that the later Stude platform based Avanti's as you described used common GM 11" drums like on a 1970's Chevy Impala, etc. so you may be able to use 1970's Chevelle, etc. E brake cables to hook up to the OP's 1953..........
                      You may be wrong on some of that...I believe they used 11" GM brakes shoes (what application I don't know). I don't see how they could have used GM brake drums since the bolt circle would be different from the 4 1/2" bolt circle the Avanti used. It would have had to have been a Ford, Mopar or AMC drum.

I doubt of part or all the parking brake cables from Chevelles and other GM cars would interchange...they all had parking brake foot pedals and the Avanti used the handle between the seats beginning in '76.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

You may be wrong on some of that...I believe they used 11" GM brakes shoes (what application I don't know). I don't see how they could have used GM brake drums since the bolt circle would be different from the 4 1/2" bolt circle the Avanti used. It would have had to have been a Ford, Mopar or AMC drum.

I doubt of part or all the parking brake cables from Chevelles and other GM cars would interchange...they all had parking brake foot pedals and the Avanti used the handle between the seats beginning in '76.
                        I meant to say 11" GM brake shoes, not drums.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                        X