T86 Transmission Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T86 Transmission Swap

I'm trying to build a car from the pieces I found laying on the side of the road.
    I have a 55 frame with a two piece drive shaft and a late model V8 with a T86 with OD and a long tail shaft. I pulled the long tail shaft transmission and stuck in an older T86 with the correct short shaft. I have not measured anything, but it looks like it all fits together except the bolt holes in the bell housing are wrong. The casting has room to drill in new bolts. Before I spend much more effort on this part of the project, I was going to ask if there is any reason not to put a new set of holes in the bell housing and keep on going. My second question is are there smarter things I could do?
    Thanks
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

You can pick up a 56-57 bellhousing for about $50 and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Comment

You could also use the one-piece driveshaft by cutting the steady-bearing crossmember, and doing a very small amount of bashing to the transmission tunnel at the point of closest approach.

Not knowing what model car the one-piece shaft came out of, or what rear axle is in your '55, I can't say if the drive shaft will fit as-is.

If you simply swap bellhousings, you will have to dial-indicate the new bellhousing to the engine block. This is not a hard procedure if you are used to doing it, and have the engine on a stand, or on the floor. A lot harder to do under the car!

If the driveshaft is not the right length, you should be able to find a good automotive machine shop that can shorten or lengthen it for about $200 or so. If there is a 4X4 specialty shop in your area, ask them to recommend a driveshaft shop. Most major towns will have one, as truckers get a lot of driveshaft work done.

If I were doing it, I'd go with the driveshaft swap, for the sake of keeping the engine and transmission together as a factory-mated pair. The dial-indicator procedure can be found in the shop manual, or you can search this site for write-ups on it.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hi clarkwd, another way to use the 2piece shaft is to change the O/D unit with short tail to
        to the trans that fits your bell housing, you can check out the 2 trans and reseal at the same time. Good luck. Leroy

Comment

T86 Swap

Found a bell housing at Macungie. Got all the pedal brackets. The transmission I have is a bit crusty. I guess I'm looking for a better T86 now.
          Bill
          http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
          sigpic

Comment

Too bad we are at opposite ends of the country. I have both a short shaft '56 and a long shaft '63 T86 for sale. Surely, you can find one closer.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
            X