Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'59 Hawaiian Green darker then I expected!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 Hawaiian Green darker then I expected!

Just a little photo update on my lark restoration. I got some color back on it and now I just have to find some part numbers and I can get the doors/windows put back together.

I had stripped all the paint and filler down to take a look at the metal underneath and found two layers of paint.

The outside layer pictured was a lot lighter then the underside green layer. Anyway we found with the owner's manual what appeared to be a card showing that the factory color was Hawaiian Green so that is what I had it sprayed with (matched the best they could anyway). This website http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...r=1959&rows=50 shows it pretty dark green.

It sure is different from the color that was on there before, I think perhaps in the past it had been repainted with late '59 "Sea mist Green". I think it doesn't look quite...right, I've never seen another lark quite this hue...I guess that makes me origianl

Anyway just some shots below, before, during stripping and after. The painter did an 'alright' job, it certainly leans toward the CASO side but hey, the price was right.

Very nice. It does this Lark nerd's heart good to see a 4 door getting love! I can't comment on the shade, but that color sure looks great to my eye. Keep the pictures coming and Bravo!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Picture #5 (LR quarter view, after painting) looks like an excellent match for Hawaiian Green. The sun is different on Picture #6, so not so much.

But if Picture #5 is a good representation of the final color in neutral light, it looks fine. Congrats; pretty car! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the miss-match. Yes, Seamist Green would have been most unique as Hawaiian Green, as you say was most common that year. The paint job does look great, though.

Craig

Comment

My first Studebaker was a '59 4 door that was Hawaiian Green... your looks right to me.. Keep up the great work and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Not sure on color being dead on,but I really like it as is.looks like a very solid car,based on the right front fender stripped to bare steel(all nice and shiney in the back edge) just really a nice Lark with all it's 4 doors <G>
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
            X