crashbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: crashbox?

Wondering if 63 larks with three on the tree had "crashbox" transmissions in them, VERY VERY touchy (grind gears) when down shifting when the car is moving at all. I can shift pretty smoothly between any gear when at a full stop at idle.
    Any comment would be appreciated thanks

Hi,

Try to double-declutch when down-shifting 3 to 2. (3rd - Declutch - Neutral - Clutch - Little gas - Declutch - 2nd - Clutch). If it's better, then the culprit is the synchromesh. Double-declutch is mandatory when down-shifting 2 to 1 as there is no synchro there.
    Check also level, quality and viscosity of gearbox oil.
    Hope this helps.
    sigpic

Comment

That's what I was kind of thinking well 3rd to 2nd is ok it's first gear that gets me, sometimes I'll get in a hurry to shift to 1st be for I come to a complete stop and it'll grind like heck.
      I guess im just In a hurry to much sometimes haha. But thanks

Comment

I don't think that 1-2 is synchromesh....might be wrong tho.....And FWIW.......unless you're downshifting for engine braking, you really never need (Should) downshift at all....use your brakes: run the surface area numbers for brake shoe area vs. clutch facing area and you'll see what I mean. I was taught to drive a standard shift car by getting into high gear as soon as the engine rpm's permit, and only to brake with the car slowing in
        rd3 gear.......anyone's call. Not trying to start an argument...just a FWIW...

Comment

Originally posted by azer View Post
          That's what I was kind of thinking well 3rd to 2nd is ok it's first gear that gets me, sometimes I'll get in a hurry to shift to 1st be for I come to a complete stop and it'll grind like heck.
          I guess im just In a hurry to much sometimes haha. But thanks
          There is just one rule: Always engage 1st or reverse only when car is completely stopped. Nevertheless with double-declutch, you can make a clashless 2nd-1st. Moreover, if you have the V8, you can start in 2nd most of the time.
          Have a nice day.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X