PDA

View Full Version : 33 President Roster at car show

2R5
08-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Yesterday was a annual car show that we try to make each year . Its held in port Colborne , Ontario and its draws cars from all over Southern Ontario and Western NY . , a very good attended show .
Well yesterday was special when a 1933 model 92 Studebaker roadster. I'm not any expert on these older models so I may have got the name a little wrong but I think I have it correct. This car was last out in 2008 and before that maybe back in the late 60's ....what a sight and boy did it attract alot of attention!
Of all days to forget to bring my camera but I was talking to the owner who said he was going to take it out this coming tuesday as well so i'll be sure to bring the camera then .
This car belongs to long time SDC member Don Carter who has owned the car since the early 50's . This car was the Studebaker display car at the Canadian National Exibition held in Toronto ( which still goes on ) The car was sold after the Ex was over to a gentleman in St Catharines On and he owned it until Don bought it from him in the 50's. The car hasn't been restored but it did have a paint job before Don got it .Don's son has kind of taken it under his wing and has started doing a few things to it as funds are available . They have had the grill rechromed and also last winter had a new windshield made and chromed , you'd never know that this windshield isn't original ....nice job.
Anyways , sorry I have no pictures but hopefully I'll be able to get some this week , as long as the weather doesn't screw that up . If I get some I'll update this post in a few days .
Another comment his son made was they would like to take this car to a International someday ....this car has never been to one , would make an interesting addition to a show thats for sure.

dictator27
08-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Roster? Shouldn't that be roadster?

Terry

8E45E
08-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Was this car assembled in Walkerville? Or is it a South Bend 'import' to Canada?

Craig

2R5
08-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Not sure Craig ....but I'll find out if it shows on tuesday.

Studebaker Wheel
08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/lf.jpg?t=1312217821

Yes, the car is what Studebaker referred to as a “Speedway” President (model 92). It was the last long wheelbase President (135”) and the last with the big 337 c.i. Eight-cylinder engine. It has the distinction of being the lowest production year and model in the pre-WWII era with only 639 built in South Bend and another 18 in Walkerville, Ontario. The car that you saw was Canadian built (serial 6950864). It is one of only nine survivors known and one of only two roadsters. The ’33 Speedways represent perhaps the pinnacle of Studebaker production in the Classic era.

The car you saw was originally the show car at the Canadian National Expo in 1933. The original colors were Cloudmist Gray Light and Dark. It was painted its current color (’54 Mercury Park Lane Green) by the Lincoln-Mercury dealer in St Catherines, ON in the 1950s when they owned it.

The photo above was taken some years ago before the improvements were made that you mention.

2R5
08-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Thats it Richard .....heck you got pics of every one out there ?
I'll see if i can get some more pics of it but it doesn't look much different then that old one.

southbend
08-01-2011, 04:39 PM
What a splendid rolling work of art! Would love to be able to see it in person some day. Maybe South Bend in 2012 for its SDC International Meet debut? That's not too far from Ontario.

I'm just waiting for someone to post: "That would make an awesome rat rod!!!" Yikes!!!!

southbend
08-01-2011, 04:42 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/lf.jpg?t=1312217821

Yes, the car is what Studebaker referred to as a “Speedway” President (model 92). It was the last long wheelbase President (135”) and the last with the big 337 c.i. Eight-cylinder engine. It has the distinction of being the lowest production year and model in the pre-WWII era with only 639 built in South Bend and another 18 in Walkerville, Ontario. The car that you saw was Canadian built (serial 6950864). It is one of only nine survivors known and one of only two roadsters. The ’33 Speedways represent perhaps the pinnacle of Studebaker production in the Classic era.

The car you saw was originally the show car at the Canadian National Expo in 1933. The original colors were Cloudmist Gray Light and Dark. It was painted its current color (’54 Mercury Park Lane Green) by the Lincoln-Mercury dealer in St Catherines, ON in the 1950s when they owned it.

The photo above was taken some years ago before the improvements were made that you mention.

Mr. Quinn,

You are an absolute treasure! Thank you for shariing your abundance of Studebaker knowledge

2moredoors
08-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Mr. Quinn,

You are an absolute treasure! Thank you for shariing your abundance of Studebaker knowledge (Mr. Quinn, we mortals are in envy)

I too saw the car 3 years ago and again yesterday. It appears to be no better shape than your picture except for the improvements mentioned by 2R5. A real survivor and a splendid example of what Studebaker was capable of making.

dictator27
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Richard

Do those 9 survivors include a Model 92 Speedway 7 passenger sedan/ambulance conversion which is currently about 10 minutes from my house? It needs a full restoration and is missing some critical pieces - engine hood for one. Originally used as a stage coach on Vancouver Island until the 40's, then as an ambulance at a private hospital until 1958.

Terry

Studebaker Wheel
08-01-2011, 07:14 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/ontrailercopy.jpg?t=1312240181

Rex Miltenberger(Niles, MI) recently located this all original '33 Speedway sedan near Ft. Wayne IN. Apparently it had only two previous owners and the title from 1934 was still in the original owners name. This photo taken just as it was found. Rex has now cleaned the pan and gas tank, removed the water jacket and cleaned it and now has the cylinder head off. He hopes to have it running in the next few weeks. They are still out there!!!

Studebaker Wheel
08-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Richard

Do those 9 survivors include a Model 92 Speedway 7 passenger sedan/ambulance conversion which is currently about 10 minutes from my house? It needs a full restoration and is missing some critical pieces - engine hood for one. Originally used as a stage coach on Vancouver Island until the 40's, then as an ambulance at a private hospital until 1958.

Terry

Yes it does include that car. It is also a Canadian built car bearing serial 6950862. The X-1 body tag indicates that it was originally a 7-passenger sedan with the rear mounted spare tire.

8E45E
08-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Is that Mike's car?

Craig

kmul221
08-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Bob what cruise will it be at on Tuesday ? Is the car from Grimsby,I believe I saw it 5 or so years ago if it is the same auto.

2R5
08-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Kevin , Don's wife told us on sunday that they plan on taking it to the Grimsby cruise. No its not from Grimsby , Don lives in Campden . The weather could play a factor weither or not the car shows up though .

dictator27
08-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Is that Mike's car?

Craig

Yes, it is.

mbstude
08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Mr. Q, thanks for the photo of Rex's new toy. He was telling me about it at the International meet, it looks like a real sweetie.

Studebaker Wheel
08-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Mr. Q, thanks for the photo of Rex's new toy. He was telling me about it at the International meet, it looks like a real sweetie.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/33speedway5passrfforum.jpg?t=1312257884

You are welcome Matthew. Save your "stainless" money, I think it may be for sale one day soon. (Factory photo above.)

mbstude
08-02-2011, 12:32 AM
It's a good thing I don't have any money, I'd have to buy it. Think you or Rex could finance it for me?

Frank Wenzel's '33 Commander 8 in Springfield was the first '33 Stude I've seen in person. I didn't realize I liked 'em as much as I do until I watched Frank follow alongside me while rolling down the highway. That slanted grille with those giant headlights looks great in motion.

2R5
08-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Craig , we got a good look at the 33 roadster tonight , it is not a Canadian car but was built in South bend and sent to Canada along with 17 others .
I will post pics as soon as we get them downloaded from the camera

2R5
08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I'll start by saying that we had a good turn out of Studebakers tonight at the Grimsby cruise ....7 in all , I got a group shot of 5 of them and the other 2 , a GT Hawk and a '60 Convertible came in a little later.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/GrimsbyCruise2011021.jpg

Now back to the 33 President .....the owner , Don Carter was very nice , he let me take a lot of shots of the car , even let me sit in it ....what an experience .....to sit in the only 33 Roadster made !
Anyways here's a few shots with the 1st one of Don standing beside his pride and joy .

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/GrimsbyCruise2011013.jpg

Here's the brass plate thats on the dash thats says "made in USA"

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/GrimsbyCruise2011025.jpg

This one is the radio control on the steering column....how neat

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/GrimsbyCruise2011007.jpg

and a final side view of the car

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/GrimsbyCruise2011018.jpg

On a final note , Don was telling me that he drove this car to Hersey back in the early 80's and parked it outside the fence area , when he returned to the car there was a stake of papers in the car from people who wanted to buy the car or just didn't know that such a car ever was made ....he wished he had kept those papers.
Don has driven this car more in tha last couple of weeks then he has in 40 years , its sure good to see it out and its a real crowd pleaser for sure.

8E45E
08-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Craig , we got a good look at the 33 roadster tonight , it is not a Canadian car but was built in South bend and sent to Canada along with 17 others .

Thanks for checking that out. I didn't expect all body styles, especially low-production ones such as President convertibles to be made in Walkerville. It would make sense to import them from South Bend and pay the duty, which would be less than the expense of setting up a special production line for the few that would be sold new in Canada.

Craig

BobPalma
08-03-2011, 07:03 AM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/ontrailercopy.jpg?t=1312240181

Rex Miltenberger(Niles, MI) recently located this all original '33 Speedway sedan near Ft. Wayne IN. Apparently it had only two previous owners and the title from 1934 was still in the original owners name. This photo taken just as it was found. Rex has now cleaned the pan and gas tank, removed the water jacket and cleaned it and now has the cylinder head off. He hopes to have it running in the next few weeks. They are still out there!!!

What a find; just gorgeous. Congrats, Rex....and thanks, Dick. BP

Stu Chapman
08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks Bob for photographing Don Curtis with his 33 and including our 64 Daytona convertible in the shot.
Stu Chapman

2R5
08-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Good to see you back on , Stu .
Here's one of Stu trying to trade Don convertibles !
Don't think it worked though , they both left in their own cars <g>

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/GrimsbyCruise2011005-1.jpg

SusieQ
08-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Bob,
Nice pix of the car, thanks for posting the, what a find.....RolyL.