transmisson leak in 53 c coupe with a 700r4 trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: transmisson leak in 53 c coupe with a 700r4 trans

I am getting ready to replace the trans pan gasket for the 4th time. I can't stop the leak. my thoughts are that the pan i am using dosent have a a good flange where it bolts to the tranny. I plan on buying a cast aluminum pan thinking that it would have a better flange. would like some advice on just using some type of sealer and just gunk it up?????? thank you joedipipi@msn.com

Here is what I would suggest doing.
    Take the pan off, and clean it spotless (same for the pan gasket surface on the transmission).
    Use Permatex Ultra-Black gasket adhesive.
    http://tinyurl.com/Permatex-Ultra-Black
    Put a light/small bead on the pan surface only.
    Install the gasket onto the pan.
    Place the pan on a flat surface, gasket side down.
    Set a weight on the pan (trans fluid gallon jug?).
    Let it set up overnight.
    The next day, put a light film of the Permatex Ultra Black on the gasket surface and install the pan.
    Torque the pan bolts only to the factory spec.

I use the same procedure on valve cover gaskets, too.
    HTIH
    Jeff

Originally posted by 53 stude mod View Post
    I am getting ready to replace the trans pan gasket for the 4th time. I can't stop the leak. my thoughts are that the pan i am using dosent have a a good flange where it bolts to the tranny. I plan on buying a cast aluminum pan thinking that it would have a better flange. would like some advice on just using some type of sealer and just gunk it up?????? thank you joedipipi@msn.com
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

One thing to do BEFORE what Jeff says.........

Get a piece of wood, steel, hard plastic that will fit between the drop in the pan and the little "rail", or outer edge of the pan.

Take a small hammer and tap on the gasket flange to flatten or "slightly" concave each fastener hole back to flat (or concave back toward the fastener head). Make sure you do all of the holes. Don't beat it up, just put the flange back to where it's supposed to be for a flat gasket surface. If there is a rib embossed, don't flatten that...!

My guess is...you've "tightened" the fasteners so tight...so many times, you've warped the flange at the fastener holes. If this is true...you'll never.......get the gasket to stop leaking.

Mike
      Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 08-01-2011, 07:55 AM.

Comment

The round head of a ball peen hammer works well to make the bolt holes concave.

Comment

My 2 cents, when I have a cover that doesn't want to seal, I clean sufaces and straighten the flange as in above posts. Then I put a thin bead of silicone on the pan AND transmission, place the gasket on the pan. Then tighten the bolts evenly untill they are just snug, and the sealer JUST starts to squeeze out a little. Leave it alone untill the next day, then tighten the bolts. The idea is not to sqeeze the sealer out before it has a chance to fill the voids, adhere and cure.
          Last edited by 1954khardtop; 08-01-2011, 07:06 AM.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

FWIW, they are more prone to leak around the dipstick tube, or trans gear. Are you POSITIVE it's the pan.

Comment

If the parts are clean and not distorted it shouldnt need sealer. One other thought
              you might want to buy a drain plug kit and make life easier/cleaner down the road.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
              X