PDA

View Full Version : Other: Outer Control Arm Bushings

David Wiens
08-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I am rebuilding the front suspension on a 1958 Hawk. The upper and lower control arms, steering knuckles are out of the car, still together. On the left side, I removed the upper outer bushings. They were very tight, requiring lots of torque to remove. On examining the control arm bushing threads, I saw that they were stripped. I believe that these are the original bushings, but am not 100% sure. Did I strip these threads? Have I missed something in the disassembly procedure? Do I need to position the proper spreading tool before I remove these upper outer bushings? Or are the bushings simply so frozen with rust that they will not turn off without stripping the control arm threads?, in which case they only need to be immersed in penetrant for a while? I have rendered this control arm unusable, would the control arms from a 1964 Cruiser fit this 1958 Hawk?
Thanks, David

r1lark
08-01-2011, 12:30 PM
The 'threads' in the control arms are, on a good day, very shallow. IIRC, on new control arms the bushings actually cut the threads in the control arm.

I don't have any arms that are apart right now, but the 'threads' will be less than 1/16" deep.

Dougie
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
r1lark is correct. I'm doing mine right now on my Lark and they are very shallow. They look like messed up threads quite frankly. Clean them up and screw them in with out the pin in place and you'll see that they actually grip nicely. Mine look like a wide thread.

oldguy
08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Just a curious newb here. Are the upper control arms, trunions, spindles, etc. the same from 53 - 64 C-K-Hawk? If so, good ones should be easy to find, (even I have an extra set). If his are crappy, just replace em.

His profile doesn't show where he is located.

StudeRich
08-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Just a curious newb here. Are the upper control arms, trunions, spindles, etc. the same from 53 - 64 C-K-Hawk? If so, good ones should be easy to find, (even I have an extra set). If his are crappy, just replace em.
His profile doesn't show where he is located.

Yes they are the same, but his most likely do not need replacement, because the holes in the upper outer control arm ends are not really "threaded", I guess I would call it spiral grooved, if that.
And as Paul said, they are merely caused by the bushing digging in, if this is the first time they were removed, they should be fine.