Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christine needs an exorcism-- Good news update!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christine needs an exorcism-- Good news update!!

I had a few minutes to mess with Christine today and it looks like I may need some spiritual help. I got everything hooked up, installed the radiator, added fluids and fired her up. Sounds like a couple of sticky valves and they need adjusting. No big deal.
    She then started spitting green stuff out of the front of the radiator. A few more not so nice words came out of my mouth.
    Then she was running kind of funny, like something was in a bind. It looks like Christine is always in reverse, no matter where the shift lever is, even in park, she wants to go backwards.
    At this point, I'm sweating, cursing and wandering around the car watching her stare at me with her four eyes, sneering at me with her big wide mouth open.
    I think it's time to call a priest.

Good news!! I adjusted the valves this morning and slowed the radiator leak down enough to crank the car and get it good and warm. She seems to run pretty good, no crazy noises and not too much smoke. I'll put new valve stem seals on the engine after I get the radiator and transmission sorted out.
    Last edited by starliner62; 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Just put my jointer behind her so she can't get too far. They are from the same time period so maybe they will get along. On a serious note, could there be an issue with the linkage and that when your shifting on the column it isn't actually shifting at the tranny? Just the first thing that popped into my head.

matt

Comment

I can't tell you how may people I've helped "fix" a computer that wouldn't work because the power was out or the cleaning lady unpluged a cable. I always start with the most simplistic basic troubleshooting and work from there, it's amazing what you can find on the way.

If it seems like she is always in reverse, I would definatley check the linkages and make certain that the lever on the columns is moving the linkages at the transmission, then you will know where to start digging deeper.

Comment

The linkage is working to the outside of the transmission. Maybe the linkage through the valve body is out of place, but the parking pawl is working. It sounds like I am power braking it in park.
        It's time to take her to the shop and get on a lift. I'm no longer a fan of laying on a creeper under a car.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

You have an incorrect assembly problem, probably in the valve body. If you run it much you'll fry the clutches.

This is why I say to never, ever open a transmission if you're not trained. Same with engines. It is NOT a simple matter of disassemble/reassemble; there are too many minute things that have to be perfect- every one- or you'll at least be taking it back apart, or at worst, do major damage. After all these years I still will not open a trans. or rotating assembly; much cheaper in the long run to have trained and experienced people do it.

Good news is, that's a relatively simple trans. that any trans. shop should be able to fix for you reasonably

Good luck, and hope more damage hasn't occured.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I was a senior master Ford tech before going to work for Fedex. This transmission is basically the same as a FMX so going in to it will not present a great challenge for me. It is much easier than a AX4S, front wheel drive tranny.
            I have what is supposed to be a low mile FOM out of a 63 Lark I may put in it to get it on the road before the Tri-State meet.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

I was hoping it was something easy for you Jamie, but I figured you would have already looked at all the easy stuff. Hope you get it worked out soon and without too much more trouble.

Comment

Yes, with your qualifications you're certainly qualified to get into it. But I cannot tell you how many times I have personally seen engines and transmissions that were screwed up because peole think it's a matter of disassemble, clean, maybe measure a little, reassemble. There are things that require an experienced eye and touch.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Did you get the original with the car? That's the one I would rebuild,then the car would be that much more original. I must say, I am sorry for all the trouble you are having with the car.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Stuck Valves, Anti-Freeze coming out of the radiator, runs poorly, it sounds like a problem with the heads, did someone remove them and not torque the bolts, overheat and crack them? or what? i.e. >Compression going into the cooling system?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Stuck Valves, Anti-Freeze coming out of the radiator, runs poorly, it sounds like a problem with the heads, did someone remove them and not torque the bolts, overheat and crack them? or what? i.e. >Compression going into the cooling system?
                      Yes the heads were removed. I don't know how he went about re installing them, but I don't think he ever cranked it.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

I think the transmission is out of a 63 or 64. I had to modify the dipstick tube so I could get the heater duct in place.
                        Rich, I don't think the heads have been off of the engine. I know that I need to adjust the valves aftet listening to them. There may be a couple of them that are too tight. It spins over like there is no compression on one cylinder. I did finally clear up for the most part and then when I cranked it a little while later, it started skipping again. That makes me think that the valves may be sticky. Time for a Marvel Mystery Oil infusion. The coolant from the radiator is coming from a hole in the front of it. I will take it to my radiator guy.
                        I'll get this stuff sorted out and ready for the road.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

Jamie, my apologies for all the trouble you're having. If I lived closer I'd spend a few days and do the dirty work. The transmission was an 'unknown but supposedly good' unit out of a '64 Cruiser.

The engine was out of the car and on a stand and was resealed. Heads were removed, water passages cleaned out, and heads reinstalled with new "thick" gaskets and Kopper Kote (sp?) and torqued down per the shop manual. (Heck, everything was done per the shop manual). I did not get a chance to adjust the valves. Jamie, as you know I never fired up the engine after resealing it. There were at least 2 valves stuck when I purchased the car, and I loosened them up just by lubrication. I suppose there may be a chance that one of them is stuck again after sitting for so long. I did nothing more than clean the heads before reinstalling them. I'm wondering if adjusting the valves and retorquing the heads will fix the skipping problem.

BTW Jamie, I sent you a PM.
                          Last edited by mbstude; 08-01-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Check the timing and fireing order too!

Comment

see post #1
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark