X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 56 President vin & rear window

Can anyone help identifying this 56 President
    56H-F6

I found a rear window under two other cars in a junk yard. Fortunately it was not broker just very dirty. They moved the top two cars and removed the glass. Once I cleaned it I find considerable oxidation. Any ideas how to remove the oxidation? I tried a couple cleaners but not much help.
    Pretty soon I won't have any feet if I keep shooting myself in them.
    thanks,
    Steven

Originally posted by swaim View Post
    Can anyone help identifying this 56 President
    56H-F6

I found a rear window under two other cars in a junk yard. Fortunately it was not broker just very dirty. They moved the top two cars and removed the glass. Once I cleaned it I find considerable oxidation. Any ideas how to remove the oxidation? I tried a couple cleaners but not much help.
    Pretty soon I won't have any feet if I keep shooting myself in them.
    thanks, Steven
    The '56 is a fairly rare President 2 Door Sedan. Without a Serial Number or Production order from same, that is about all there is to be learned from a body tag.
    It is the 1646th body of it's type and model welded up that year.

Oxidation? that is the first time I have ever heard that term used to describe the condition of GLASS! Anything ON the glass is contamination that needs to be cleaned off, anything IN the glass is probably air leaks between the safety plates, sometimes called "bubbling" or the white discoloration that happens on the edges, there is no fix for that.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Steven,
      If I understand your question correctly, you want to get the "stains on the glass surface removed?
      If so, depending how bad it is, you may want to try some "Bon Ami" (sp) powder.
      A close freind bought an older car that was parked under a tree and the leaves were left to rot on the car.
      We got the stains fromm the leaves off the glass by using the above method.

Good luck
      George King
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Bon Ami is a borax compound; it will not harm glass. I wish I could still find the powdered version rather than the spray version (worked even better, even if a bit of "elbow grease" required at times)

Comment

Working...
        X