53-54 Studebaker Hood scoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53-54 Studebaker Hood scoops

A 53-54 Studebaker hood is beauty in its purest form and many hood scoops take away from the style of the car. My car creates so much heat that I need a scoop to realive it. Show me your pics. Anything is game from MoPar 6 pack scoops, snorkel scoops, shaker scoops, Ford scoops, cowl induction, louvers, dual scoops...
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
    A 53-54 Studebaker hood is beauty in its purest form and many hood scoops take away from the style of the car. My car creates so much heat that I need a scoop to realive it. Show me your pics. Anything is game from MoPar 6 pack scoops, snorkel scoops, shaker scoops, Ford scoops, cowl induction, louvers, dual scoops...
    Try this, or old school louvers.
    Attached Files
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Can't beat louvers.
      Have not seen anything that looked terrible with louvers.
      59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
      51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
      27 Ford Roadster
      Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

Also consider punching some louvers or holes in the inner fenders to vent air out to the side. That way you do not taint that perfect hood.

Pat
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0069.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1670308
          the P.O. did this to the avanti i used to own... (double click for large pic).
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Never seen louvers in fiberglass, but my guess would be louvers for the 53-54 hoods
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I would try other things first, like getting it to run cooler or openings in the inner fenders. If you still want to do something with the hood, I would suggest rear facing louvers to let heat escape.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                Also consider punching some louvers or holes in the inner fenders to vent air out to the side. That way you do not taint that perfect hood.

Pat
                I cut out the fenderwells completely and I took a big hole saw to the front inner fender. My fenderwell headers make a LOT of heat.
                Lizella, GA

Comment

I think functional NACA ducts can be good for air inlets. The aerio is opposite for a vent.

A fellow at a cruise night had louvered the license plate on his Ford coupe.
                  My inspection station flunked me and I had to get new issue red letter assachusetts double plates because I touched up the reflective background on my state issued green letter single plate

Comment

I cut out the fenderwells completely and I took a big hole saw to the front inner fender. My fenderwell headers make a LOT of heat.
                    Insulate them!
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Alex

That is exactly why I wrap the headers in my cars. Really cuts down on under hood heat and I burn myself less. Invest in a decent quality wrap.

My vote is for the Camaro style in JDP's post but the camaro has a lip that extends behind the hood over the cowl that adds 300% to the appearance. You may see one like that coming to an Avanti near me shortly.

Bob
                      Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-30-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I had my headers coated and it really cut down on the heat they put off. Just something else to think about.
                        TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Or you could buy the 53 Hood that I've got. It already has a scoop on it. Then you could use whichever one floats your boat ! ! ! ! Here's a picture of it. Its simple and not really elegant, but maybe its cheap enough for you ???? PM me and we'll talk about it.
                          Attached Files
                          sals54

Comment

How about trying the Saturn lower air deflector that is recommended on Avanti's for the same reason? Cheap & worth a try.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I was thinking about GT500 super snake hood vents, but they cost a pretty penny. Anyone know a cheaper solution?

Lizella, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X