PDA

View Full Version : 48 champion steering wheel puller

48stud
05-29-2007, 10:00 PM
[V]DOES ANYONE IN THIS UNIVERSE HAVE THE CORRECT STEERING WHEEL PULLER FOR A 48 CHAMPION IT NEEDS A SPECIAL ONE CANNOT USE A UNIVERSAL ONE HAS TO BE A STUDEBAKER ONE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!![V]

gordr
05-30-2007, 12:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by 48stud

[V]DOES ANYONE IN THIS UNIVERSE HAVE THE CORRECT STEERING WHEEL PULLER FOR A 48 CHAMPION IT NEEDS A SPECIAL ONE CANNOT USE A UNIVERSAL ONE HAS TO BE A STUDEBAKER ONE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!![V]

Many tool rental shops have an assortment of pullers to rent. You won't find a dedicated puller for Stude wheels, but you probably can find a standard 2-bolt puller PLUS a bearing separator. This latter item consists of two half-discs assembled on a pair of long bolts. The inner edge of each half-disc is formed as a semi-circular wedge, with a thin edge. Basically, you assemble the bearing separator UNDER the steering wheel, and pull on it.

Google "bearing separator" and you should get a link to a picture. It's a simple device, but hard to describe in a few words.

This how I would do it, and I believe other SDCers have used bearing separators successfully to remove the steering wheels on cars lacking puller holes.

Be sure to place the steering wheel nut flush with the end of the thread, and use a short bolt or something in the end of the column shaft, so as to avoid damaging the threads.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

48stud
06-01-2007, 06:49 AM
THANKS THAT SHOULD BE SOME HELP MAKES ALOT OF SENSE THANKS MUCH

Alan
06-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Check out Harbor (Chinese) Frieght Lot No. 30305 this weekend June 1-3 $19.99.

48stud
06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
THANKS THATS EXACTLY WHAT I DID I HAVE A NEW HARBOR FREIGHT STORE IN MY TOWN.

48stud
06-08-2007, 10:34 PM
i used the bearing puller and let me tell you IT WORKED GREAT THANKS SO MUCH THE PEOPLE FROM THIS STUDEBAKER CLUB ARE ACES !!!!!!!!!!

cstude1
06-09-2007, 12:54 AM
" Check out Harbor (Chinese) Frieght Lot No. 30305 this weekend June 1-3 $19.99."
Do they have a new part number?. On line that number is discontinued. I need a couple for my tool lending service.
Thanks,
Chuck

Alan
06-09-2007, 03:24 AM
Chuck, They had a 3 day inventory clearout sidewalk sale the 1st-3rd. Everything was first come first serve, no rainchecks and about half off.

48stud
06-11-2007, 07:23 AM
chuck i got mine from harbor freight store in my town i will look up the # and let you know gary