Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Factory

What will become of it?

Such a shame that the Packard plant got that run down. That's another place I wish I could have seen back in its day. Aside from the broken glass, graffiti, trash, rust, and general falling apart, it's actually a neat looking building as far as the brick work. I've never actually been there though.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

I believe it will all be demolished one day, even if someone wished to restore the site it would cost too much, perhaps be turned into a business park like the old Studebaker factory.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

It's a much bigger shame that Detroit is that run down.....

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
        Such a shame that the Packard plant got that run down.
        <snip>
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Amen!

I understand what the narrator was saying about there being some kind of strange attraction that buildings like that have. Despite their broken down looks, abandonment, starkness and even danger there is a sort of beauty to them. The video is very well done. Thanks for posting this.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Amen Jeff.

A study of several historically significant abandoned buildings in Detroit Michigan including historical material and recent interior and exterior photographs.

Particularly haunting to me is the story of St. Cyril's.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I worked in the old Packard plant in the late 1960's, and was there in the '67 riots. Different parts of the plant were leased out to various companies. We designed and built custom machinery. The plant still had all kinds of old Packard stuff everywhere. We found engineering drawings, advertising brochures, all kinds of trash everywhere. All got thrown away in our space, but there were parts of the plant empty that still had Packard things. There is a big fight going on right now over ownership, and whether to finally tear the place down, and who pays.

Comment

It's difficult to comprehend that some of the finest cars ever built came out of these buildings........what a mess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  It's difficult to comprehend that some of the finest cars ever built came out of these buildings........what a mess!!!

A mess now, but look at the beauty of those buildings, still standing after 50 years of use and 50 years of abandonment. They were the best engineered and built money could buy. The people who worked there built cars equivalent to the best in the world.

During WWII, they showed Rolls how to build a better quality Merlin.

After WWII they sort of lost their way with the unloved *bathtub* styling and built down to a price instead of up to a standard. As so often happens, the bean-counters ruined yet another grand company.

RIP, Packard.

Comment

To: jnormanh,--------I always disliked auto 'junkyards' that stacked their cars........I always seemed to need something off the very bottom or off the very top car!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      To: jnormanh,--------I always disliked auto 'junkyards' that stacked their cars........I always seemed to need something off the very bottom or off the very top car!!!
                      I once took a door off a 62 Lark that was in the middle!
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                      X