'51 Champion horn honks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: '51 Champion horn honks!

Is there suppose to be a spring or "rubber shock pad" behind my horn button? My horn honks when the button is installed (I dont have a horn ring, just the button). The manual talks about a rubber shock pad, but it seems to be for the horn ring.

Thanks, John Seymour

My parts book only goes up to 1950, but if the 51 is like these, this may help. On page 219 (upper left) is an exploded view of the horn button only steering wheel. Illustration numbers 1310-33, -35 and 40 seem to be the parts you are looking for. Please keep in mind that my book does not cover 1951, but chances are the horn system is the same.
    Good luck, 73, Jim

Comment

I see on pg 126 of the SI catalog, a "horn button retainer" O ring. 1947-51. Maybe I need this.

John

Comment

I had this problem with our 1950 Champion a couple years ago. The correction was a reproduction horn sponge (P/N 520411) purchased at SI. This is used on 1947 thru 1956 cars with a horn bar or ring.
        Perry
        \'50 Business Champion
        \'50 Starlight Champion
        \'60 Lark Convertible,
        \'63 GT R1,
        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

John,
          You do not need the retainer "O" ring. It is for cars with a horn ring.
          You do not need the push button shock sponge. It too was used with the horn ring.
          Yours is a Type A steering wheel with only a center button.
          Only parts that could address your issue would be #192247 PLATE, push button contact and # 192245 CAP, push button contact.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            John,
            You do not need the push button shock sponge. It too was used with the horn ring.
            Only parts that could address your issue would be #192247 PLATE, push button contact and # 192245 CAP, push button contact.
            Thanks- My #192247 is OK. I will have to identify what the #192245 is.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              John,
              Rockne10- I have those parts and their in good shape. The horn honks constant. Guess their shorting some how.

Comment

If the horn honks constantly with the button in place, and stops when the button is removed, then there is something wrong with the way the button is installed.

If removing the button does not stop the horn from sounding, you may have a short to ground on the wire passing down through the steering shaft, and exiting from the bottom end of the steering box.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                  If the horn honks constantly with the button in place, and stops when the button is removed, then there is something wrong with the way the button is installed.

If removing the button does not stop the horn from sounding, you may have a short to ground on the wire passing down through the steering shaft, and exiting from the bottom end of the steering box.
                  Gord- Horn honks only with the button in place. That's why I thought it was missing a spring or rubber shock pad.

Thanks, John

Comment

Follow up- After help in finding out what parts should be in my horn assembly (button type), I realized that the 3/8" spring that I thought just pushed the center conductor up, is what is used to keep the horn contacts apart. Turns out that little spring was fatigued and gummed up. Cleaned and messed with it a little and BINGO. My horn works properly.

Thanks to all who chimed in,

John, Temple City, CA

Comment

Working...
                    X