Also - Problems Starting When Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also - Problems Starting When Hot

Somewhere I read that this is a battery cable problem??....
    My Champion 6 when it's hot will not restart...barely turns over.
    Battery is good it just strands me for 45 minutes to an hour til it cools off? Anyone know the parts ### for both the battery cables (battery to starter and battery to ground) for the 54's ??? I'm on 6 volts pos ground.
    Thanks !

"Oh That? It's a STUDEBAKER!!"

54 Champion Regal 2dr
    Sedan

It might be as simple as tightening down on the battery cable lugs at the chassis
    and starter. Also, I don't think you need part numbers to replace your cables. Take them to
    NAPA or your favorite FLAPS and they should be able to closelty match the lugs and wire
    gauge. Clean and wire brush the battery terminals before replacing the cables. It sounds like a connection is a little loose and as the engine heats up, expansion gives a better electical path.
    ...Dick

1950 Champion Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    Santa Barbara
    CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Comment

As Dick said.. Start with the cables.
      That is quick, easy, and a source for a lot of the problems people have. Taking the starter off, taking it apart and cleaning it. Lubing the end bushings a little, and filing the brushes square, along with some commutator cleaning will also help. Help? Unless you have a short somewhere it is sure to solve your problem. Taking a starter or generator apart is not too scary, and should be in most peoples bag o' tricks.... Especially Stude people.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by SoCal54Champion

Somewhere I read that this is a battery cable problem??....
      My Champion 6 when it's hot will not restart...barely turns over.
      Battery is good it just strands me for 45 minutes to an hour til it cools off? Anyone know the parts ### for both the battery cables (battery to starter and battery to ground) for the 54's ??? I'm on 6 volts pos ground.
      Thanks !
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Start with the cheap stuff. Make sure all the heavy connections in the starter circuit are bright and tight. I've had this happen on a 48 Land Cruiser and a 46 Caddy. The Caddy had a Hydramatic in it and was slow turning over even when things were in good shape. Keeping things shiny and tight cured the problem in both cases.

Terry

Comment

Make sure of your ground between the engine and frame.

Comment

Right to all that previous, and check the gauge on the cables. The cables for 6 volt cars have a larger wire than the 12 volters.

Tim K.
            '64 R2 GT Hawk
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Make sure you check the generator out-put. If it's not keeping the battery charged, it won't crank when it's hot. Also check the voltage regulator, if it's old, it may be tired causing a no charge condition. Don't forget the starter solenoid, they get tired too. OBTW, Advance Autoparts has the voltage regulator and the solenoid in their GP Sorensen line. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
              Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Thanks Tim and all,
                To which I suspect is the case. I believe that somewhere previous to me that an owner switched out or replaced the battery cables with common 12v's...mine dont look anything like the ones in the shop manual and I seriously doubt that they are 0/2 guage or whatever is required for 6v.
                I am going to go back and clean and tighten all the connects but I really would prefer to have a proper set of cables hence the parts number question.
                I always try to do business with one of our Studebaker vendors even for small things I could get from a FLAPS...
                Again, thanks everyone!

54 Champion Regal 2dr
                Sedan

Comment

Try looking in Tractor Supply place. Ask them for No. 1 or No. 2 battery cables with the proper terminals and length. Take your Negative cable in for length.

The original ground was a braided wire cable, with no insulation.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe
                  '60 Lark VI
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

I used 00 welding cables and made my own on my 289 powered 52 ragtop. I also have a flight-o-matic!
                    One of these forums somebody made a comment about running the ground cable direct to the starter bolt. I have not done that yet, but I also do not have a cranking problem.
                    I use "lots of grounds" throughout the car, make sure also that the ground wire from the right engine mount bracket to the frame is there.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Aha ! Eureka ! Fixed it.
                      OK this past Saturday (going a little further than planned) I replaced the battery cables with new, cleaned up all the connections from the starter solenoid, to the grounding strap on the motor mount to the battery ground at the front of the motor...etc.
                      Also replaced the sparkplugs...found a nasty little surprise there in that one of the plugs wasn't tight and had a far amount of exhaust blow on it ! Wonder how that got that way?!
                      Starts like a Champ now, hot or cold!
                      Thanks everyone.

54 Champion Regal 2dr
                      Sedan

Comment

Working...
                      X