Why OH!! Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why OH!! Why

Can you rent a U-Haul trailer to haul an 85 Monte Carlo and not an Avanti?

If I'm not mistaken, they sat the Avanti body on the Monte Carlo Chassis. And I also trailered my 83 home on an exact duplicate of their current trailer in 2009. It was so much easier when they didn't list Avanti's. By the way, they don't have a Studebaker listing in the current software.

So I guess I'll be towing a "Monte Carlo" home shortly.

Bob

I must have a magic 'puter~ not only do I see a listing for "Studebaker"
    but I can also find "1985 Avanti" when I go to http://www.uhaul.com

but you're not the first person to have trouble~
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=haul

Just be careful of the tow rig, and you'll be fine!!!!
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Bob: I wanted to trailer our Son's '50 Pro-Street. U-Haul said no way, even a stock '50 would not be allowed. Penske gave the OK based on it was a stock '50. BUT.....and here is the big but. If you tell whoever you are towing a particular type of car and they OK it, IF there is a accident or problem and the car on the trailer is not what you told them, YOU are responsible for ALL damages, your fault or not. Be aware! stupak

Comment

Maybe their guidelines changed as you say. In 07/2008 I rented a tandem Axle U-Haul trailer here and made a round trip to Coopersburg, PA picking up our 1963 Avanti. Same day return and it was around $50.00. Now if you just had a Sunbeam Tiger for a tow vehicle!
        Last edited by Bob Bryant; 07-26-2011, 08:33 AM.
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

If you only have a half ton pickup, you then need a friend who has a 3/4 ton to go pick up the trailer for you, swap the trailer to your half ton, then go get the car and return the empty trailer. I just heard that some people do this. I would never ever do such an underhanded thing such as this. And certainly have never done such a thing since getting my own trailer.
          sals54

Comment

85 Avanti are still on the Studebaker frame. Not Monte Carlo.
            George Rohrbach

Comment

I had issues renting from U-haul with my 1/2 ton Ford truck as a tow vehicle. No issues with the 3/4 ton at all. My local office lists many Studes but did not list C/K's until I took them weight and wheelbase info. Now one office lists them but the other lists only the sedans. Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Speaking of you-haul, I was in a Midas shop in King of Prussa two Saturday's ago having some "emergency" brake work done when a woman came in and told the following story:

She rented a trailer the day before, they hooked it up to her vehicle and as she was pulling out of the driveway the trailer came unhooked and slid under her vehicle, tearing through the exhaust and other components, every light on the dash came on. Come to find out the receiver has been installed up-side-down and the trailer ball was pointing down. Apparently the installer mounted the trailer to the nut on the bottom of the ball, instead of turning it over. That arrangement lasted only a few feet before coming apart. The insurance companies will be working out the details.
                Last edited by dpson; 07-26-2011, 12:50 PM.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                  /Cut/Come to find out the receiver has been installed up-side-down and the trailer ball was pointing down. Apparently the installer mounted the trailer to the nut on the bottom of the ball, instead of turning it over./Cut/
                  This guy must have been a well experienced Technician!

I really don't think it takes a Motorhead to figure that out, any housewife could see that would not work!

I'll bet it was no harder than pulling the safety clip, removing the lock pin, and pulling the drawbar out of the receiver and reversing it.
                  I would think that the tow height was probably way wrong and the two required safety Chains must not have been properly connected either, maybe he hooked them to the Light plug receptacle!
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 07-26-2011, 05:15 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

next time you rent a trailer,, tell them your hauling a geo metro they wont hassle you at all.

this is the last metro we put on a uhaul. (not me in the pic)

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just finished renting a U Hall trailer and truck to pull my broken Avanti home from Gettysburg. It is the car that is in the pictures on a trailer. The car blew the front seal in the transmission. The first time in 35 years of owning the car and many trips that it did not make it home under its own power. After locating a truck and trailer that the U Hall dealer would rent for one way there was no problem with the car being allowed on the car. The dealer hitched the trailer to the truck and helped load the car. Only problem was someone had to push on the car to raise it so the door would clear the fender and I could exit the drivers seat.
                      We even called the U Hall store in my home town (in case we could not find a trailer) to find out if they had a trailer (yes) and if my 1996 Bronco could tow it. Again yes. I was not looking forward to towing a trailer with the Bronco due to its short wheel base.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rstrasser View Post
                        I just finished renting a U Hall trailer and truck to pull my broken Avanti home from Gettysburg. It is the car that is in the pictures on a trailer. The car blew the front seal in the transmission. The first time in 35 years of owning the car and many trips that it did not make it home under its own power. After locating a truck and trailer that the U Hall dealer would rent for one way there was no problem with the car being allowed on the car. The dealer hitched the trailer to the truck and helped load the car. Only problem was someone had to push on the car to raise it so the door would clear the fender and I could exit the drivers seat.
                        We even called the U Hall store in my home town (in case we could not find a trailer) to find out if they had a trailer (yes) and if my 1996 Bronco could tow it. Again yes. I was not looking forward to towing a trailer with the Bronco due to its short wheel base.

Ron
                        It is interesting how dealers differ. You had no issues while here they are totally bound to the vagaries of their website.

I'm not concerned about the towing, my 260 Sunbeam is in for an oil change so I'm using the same GMC 2500HD crew cab, 8-ft bed truck I used to tow the 83 Avanti 900 miles from Vermont. It has the 502 gas motor and Allison transmission that pulls it effortlessly at 70 MPH in cruise. It's not Jim M's tow monster but it's a close second.

I'm just curious why they frown on an Avanti but think a late 80's Monte Carlo which is essentially equivalent in size and weight is fine.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Da Tinman View Post
                          next time you rent a trailer, tell them your hauling a Geo Metro; they won't hassle you at all.

This is the last metro we put on a U-haul. (Not me in the pic)

'Looks like the rare, experimental, French 1960 Geo Metro-Bisquette. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            This guy must have been a well experienced Technician!
                            I went to a tire store where the tech put the lug nuts on pointy side out.
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                              I went to a tire store where the tech put the lug nuts on pointy side out.
                              Gotta start learning somewhere.
                              That's called on the job training. Fine if it gets corrected before going to the customer; dangerous if it isn't.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X