62 GT Hawk in a box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT Hawk in a box

I don't know what possesed me to undertake this build, but ever since I saw my first GT Hawk in the car corral at Carlisle I knew I would build one some day because I was in love.

So long story short, I traded a working, driving, fun to own 51 Champion, for a 62 GT in a box, less drive line and trunk lid, and thanks to Ryan, AKA beatnik64 I now have the trunklid and a transmission for my car.

So here are the starting pics, the rest of the car is in boxes in my shed. I will post more as I make progress so you guys can follow my rebuild.

I sure am glad to have you guys in my corner to help me out with this. I know I am going to need it.
    Attached Files

Welcome aboard. 'Looks like a do-able project. Congrats. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Cool beans, A/C. Good luck with the project.

Comment

YOU have a long way to go, but it will be worth it all when you are finished. Just don't get discouraged and quit on it. This happens TOO many times. There are 5 Studebakers in our little town right now that are in that condition. Just remember Johnny Cash and get it done "One piece at a time" Just don't steal the parts like he did.(lol)
        Neil Thornton

Comment

You bet, we're here for you! Have fun- and make sure you keep it fun!

That's a period-correct A/C condensor, worth a hundred or two as is. Get that undercover ASAP.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            You bet, we're here for you! Have fun- and make sure you keep it fun!

That's a period-correct A/C condensor, worth a hundred or two as is. Get that undercover ASAP.
            Oh It's in the garage, will be for awhile. Do you know if that A/c unit is a factory option or a period aftermarket?

Comment

The A/C unit is the real deal (Studebaker issue)
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                The A/C unit is the real deal (Studebaker issue)
                Yep, Bob said it
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

And even if you update the compressor, you can still use that unit under the dash. Works very well.

Comment

Welcome to the madness that is the SDC. The best explanation of "why you did this" could be that you have a "Studebaker Personality!" ...Different by Design and a strong desire to be different. Remember, anybody can buy a Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler product. Everybody has a belly button, but not everybody has a Studebaker.

To get this project done, the best tool in your inventory is "Patience." It is also the most elusive tool and can disappear without warning. The best thing to do when you lose it, is to take a break until you find it. The second best tool you have is the SDC and resources found among its members. The key here is to keep in mind that we're "Full of it."(Confession is good for the soul
                    ) That requires you to double-check recommendations and opinions found here. Participation on this forum is a tiny portion of our membership, but there are some who could tear down, rebuild, and reassemble these cars blindfolded.

By all means, ask for advice and recommendations, but use your good judgement, talent, and taste to achieve the results you want. Good luck with your car and I look forward to updates on your progress.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                    X