PDA

View Full Version : 64-66 wire wheel covers relisted with a buy it now

mbstude
07-22-2011, 05:11 PM
This may be the lowest price you'll ever see on a NOS set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110718983513

Milaca
07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't recall having ever seen a set on a Studebaker. Anybody have photos of such caps on a GT Hawk?

Bob Andrews
07-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Holy Cow, those are serious Candy! I'd be afraid to use them. I assume someone will want these for a high-end show car- hide 'em away until on the show field, then install.

Or wall decoration for the well-to-do;)

studefan
07-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Matthew, have you considered a "second chance offer" with the highest bidder from the first auction?

Milaca
07-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Holy Cow, those are serious Candy! I'd be afraid to use them. I assume someone will want these for a high-end show car- hide 'em away until on the show field, then install.

Or wall decoration for the well-to-do;)

They'd look good on a Zip van, Bob. ;)

mbstude
07-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Brent, I've seen them on GT Hawks, Avantis, and Cruisers even. They look best on GTs to me.

Matthew, have you considered a "second chance offer" with the highest bidder from the first auction?

Yep.. No sale. They might look alright on a red Super Lark. :rolleyes:

studefan
07-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I was thinking the same thing Matthew! I really like the looks of those wheel covers.

Bullet
07-22-2011, 06:40 PM
I have only seen one set and this was at the International Meet way back in the late 80 or early 90s in Portland OR. Very nice.

Mark

mbstude
07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Sold! Off they go to Wild and Wonderful West Virginia..

07-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Yes!! I sold my first NOS set of these to JDP back in '98 or so because I couldn't figure out how to mount them (didn't know about the clips, but he did). Regretted selling and started looking for another set. Bought a set from Bob Peterson (not NOS, but flawless) and put them on my '64 Avanti (knew about the clips and where to get them this time). Sold the car on eBay with the caps and the proviso that I would knock $500 off the price AND install a set of NOS standard wheel covers. Buyer opted to take the wires. More regret. This time they are keepers no matter what.

jimmijim8
07-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Barry Hackney has a NOS set for sale jimmijim

Hawklover
07-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Not a plug-n-play situation.

A pain in the arz to mount to clean etc.

Don't inquire how I possess this knowledge.

BobPalma
07-22-2011, 10:55 PM

WHAT! Not Australia? <GGG> BP

mbstude
07-22-2011, 11:49 PM
WHAT! Not Australia? <GGG> BP

I had them in Springfield and tried my best to get Ian to buy them. He wasn't too excited about 'em. :rolleyes:

Chris Pile
07-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I've never been crazy about fake wire wheels, and then having fake knock-offs on top of them?
No, thanks.

Bob Andrews
07-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Excellent, Paul! It's always great to see someone attain something they've always wanted- or better yet, replace something they regretted letting go on the past. Enjoy!

07-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Not a plug-n-play situation.

A pain in the arz to mount to clean etc.

Don't inquire how I possess this knowledge.
I possess the same knowledge, but I like them anyhow (glutton for punishment). At least they are no where near as bad as real wires. Took me a full day at the '85 Springfield International just to clean and detail the four Daytons on my Avanti.

2R5
07-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Question on these hubcaps....I see they are listed as 64 to 66 but I find no mention in any of the assessory books I have on 64. I do not have a 65 booklet but they are shown in the 66 booklet.
Are we sure these were listed as AC for any other year besides 66 ?

JDP
07-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Question on these hubcaps....I see they are listed as 64 to 66 but I find no mention in any of the assessory books I have on 64. I do not have a 65 booklet but they are shown in the 66 booklet.
Are we sure these were listed as AC for any other year besides 66 ?

They were introduced too late to be listed in the accessory book, but a sales letter was issued late in 63 for 64 models. As Paul noted, I bought a set from him for this car, but I regret selling both the car and the caps.

candbstudebakers
07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
The set I sold Paul a few years ago was a very nice set, but for show only at the price one would not want them to spin around to many times and take the chance of one coming off, a couple of months ago there was a nice used set on e-bay but seller would not ship out of the country and a friend in New Zealand wanted them so I bid and won them for him and shipped them over, I think he is going to use them on his 64 Daytona 2 door hardtop I sold him a few years ago.

mbstude
07-24-2011, 07:55 PM
The set I sold Paul a few years ago was a very nice set, but for show only at the price one would not want them to spin around to many times and take the chance of one coming off, a couple of months ago there was a nice used set on e-bay but seller would not ship out of the country and a friend in New Zealand wanted them so I bid and won them for him and shipped them over, I think he is going to use them on his 64 Daytona 2 door hardtop I sold him a few years ago.

Last year I restored a set of beat up ones for Brad Bez to use on a customer's R3 Avanti. I delivered them to him at the Southeast Zone Meet last October. At the same meet, I ran into a friend with an Avanti that had the same wire covers. This guy owns early T-Birds, NCRS Certified Corvettes, national award winning 50's Jaguars, a 55 Speedster and 58 Golden Hawk, etc etc.. Well, his Avanti had one wheel cover with a little curb rash. He asked me about repairing it and I told him it'd be no problem. He said "Okay, well I need to have the car at the Concourse De Elegance in 3 weeks, so I'll ship the cover to you after the show."

Well, I get a call two days later.. The wheelcover that I had been asked to fix flew off on the interstate on the way home. It hit the asphalt a few times and rolled up like a newspaper, and by the time it had stopped moving it was in the shape of a triangle, and nice triple-folded edges.. I wish I had taken a before photo, but he sent it to me "rush job" and I spent two full days on that wheelcover.. But when I finished, it looked better than new. I sent it to him, it fit on the wheel and tire perfectly and he had the car ready for the big show. Since then, I've done all of his show car stainless... :)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/wirecover.jpg

studegary
07-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Matthew - The wheelcover looks excellent, except it looks like one "knock off" is just laying there unattached and upside down. Am I seeing something wrong on my screen?

studegary
07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I see a set of '64-'66 Chevrolet wire wheelcovers on eBay for $1995. Who says that Studebaker parts are expensive <G>? Most CASOs won't spend the $1995 for a whole '64-'66 Studebaker <G>.

Matthew - I see that your eBay listing still shows Hazlehurst as your location. Shouldn't this be updated to Fayetteville?

studelark
07-25-2011, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=Sold! Off they go to Wild and Wonderful West Virginia..[/QUOTE]

******************************************************************************** *******

Congratulations, Paul. If that's something you wanted and have seached for, I'm pleased for you that you found them. There are things that must of us (secretly) want but never have the opportunity to acquire. You're blessed and living right!!

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
M16-52 Boyer-bodied 1948 fire truck