No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Know This '50 Land Cruiser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Know This '50 Land Cruiser?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2426135653.html

This seems to be a solid, roadworthy '50 Land Cruiser but no show car. This is exactly the car and condition I'm looking for, and most important, it's in my $$$ comfort zone. albeit at the top of that zone. But it's 525 miles from where I live. Has anyone checked into this car or know anything about it? Anyone know of a similar car in similar condition (must be roadworthy--not looking for a project)/and price that's a lot closer to central Georgia? A '47 to '50 Commander or Landcruiser is my top choice. I'd consider a Champion but only if it was a '50 and has OD. Or a coupe, of course, but I'm sure it's been at least a couple of decades since a decent, roadworthy coupe could be had for under $6K.

This one in VA seems to be any early production judging by the painted headlight rims.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Shipped from Hawaii?

Very nice looking Car! But I see a RED FLAG!

"Shipped from Hawaii" !!!!!!! -OH, OH, what does that mean? You get to pay to get it to the lower 48, and then to home?

The seller (ebay account owner) is in VA, but is the car?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-22-2011, 01:24 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looks like a very nice car. Maybe it was inside a museum and not driven in the hot salty air <GG> Rather nice interior too. One little comment: just a few Ebay sales of some of the items on the car, even if it were a total basket case as in no frame and no floors and supports and no way to fix, could recoup a significant portion of the cost. It is a >1950< and a >Landcruiser< after all. Sheet metal and mechanical and trim oh my!

Because it is a 50 Landcruiser, and not a 49 of before, or a 51 and after, as nice and desirable as they are, but a 1950--I'd go for this in a nanosecond if I had about $8000 (cost+airfare+gas+etc) in ready cash at the moment. Love those 50 Landcrushers.

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
        http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2426135653.html

This seems to be a solid, roadworthy '50 Land Cruiser but no show car. This is exactly the car and condition I'm looking for, and most important, it's in my $$$ comfort zone. albeit at the top of that zone. But it's 525 miles from where I live. Has anyone checked into this car or know anything about it? Anyone know of a similar car in similar condition (must be roadworthy--not looking for a project)/and price that's a lot closer to central Georgia? A '47 to '50 Commander or Landcruiser is my top choice. I'd consider a Champion but only if it was a '50 and has OD. Or a coupe, of course, but I'm sure it's been at least a couple of decades since a decent, roadworthy coupe could be had for under $6K.

This one in VA seems to be any early production judging by the painted headlight rims.

Any information greatly appreciated.
        There are several SDC members in Richmond or nearby. The Central Virginia Chapter is based there. Too bad Leonard Shepherd is no longer there. He would probably know the car.
        I will email a friend of mine there an see if he can suggest someone to look at it. He would probably be willing too, but he dioesn't have experience with older Studebakers.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.
          Regarding StudeRich's comment: I am assuming by the Virginia Antique auto plate on the car in the one photo that the car is currently in Virginia and was originally from Hawaii and was shipped to Virginia from Hawaii at some point in its life. But I could be wrong. The way the ad reads, the car might have been shipped from VA to Hawaii where it still resides but the owner in back in VA. I haven't called the owner yet. Thanks, StudeRich, for pointing this out. I'm always leery of ads that provide very little information, as does this ad. That's why I've posted here before going any further.

To 53k: Thanks for your generous offer to try to find someone to check it out for me (assuming it IS in VA). SDC members are really the greatest. I had to sell my cars about 10 years ago. One of them was a black '49 Land Cruiser. It was one sweet ride. I'm now in a position where I can think about becoming a Studebaker driver again.
          Last edited by southbend; 07-22-2011, 01:59 PM. Reason: add content

Comment

Harry Crosson had a running/driving, just painted, 1950 Land Cruiser when he died (Pennsylvania). He left relatives, but I have not heard what happened to the LC since. It was not at Gettysburg, which is near the area that he resided in.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
              Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.
              Regarding StudeRich's comment: I am assuming by the Virginia Antique auto plate on the car in the one photo that the car is currently in Virginia and was originally from Hawaii and was shipped to Virginia from Hawaii at some point in its life. But I could be wrong. The way the ad reads, the car might have been shipped from VA to Hawaii where it still resides but the owner in back in VA. I haven't called the owner yet. Thanks, StudeRich, for pointing this out. I'm always leery of ads that provide very little information, as does this ad. That's why I've posted here before going any further.

To 53k: Thanks for your generous offer to try to find someone to check it out for me (assuming it IS in VA). SDC members are really the greatest. I had to sell my cars about 10 years ago. One of them was a black '49 Land Cruiser. It was one sweet ride. I'm now in a position where I can think about becoming a Studebaker driver again.
              I have a contact who is willing to go look at the car if you are still interested. He lives nearby and is very familiar with Studebakers. Consensus is it is a very nice original car.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

southbend- This '50 Land Cruiser belongs to a member of the Central Virginia Chapter, SDC of which I am a founding member. The elderly gentleman who owns this car joined our group several years ago and has owned this car for a number of years. He drives the car to every meeting he attends with his wife. The car sounds great and apparently drives well. The car is unrestored, perhaps a repaint years ago, and it looks good (a 20 footer). The interior is stock, I'm sure the original. I know him on a casual basis as I have missed a number meetings lately due to my health problems. To my knowledge he is an honorable man and this is no scam situation. I have no financial interest in this LC, just telling you what I have observed and would like to see a Studebaker lover have it. I do not know the specifics of why he needs to sell other than his advancing years.

Frank Drumheller
                Locust Grove, VA
                60S-W6
                M16-52 Boyer-bodied 1948 fire truck

Comment

Working...
                X