Need a bleeder system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Need a bleeder system

Interestingly, I have never owned one. I've always waited until I could get somebody to pump the pedal for me. Would be easier to be able to do it when I want to.

I'm not ready to pay $400 for a Max Pro, but I'm not thinking Pep Boys $10 unit either.

What do you have or recommend?
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Mount a reservoir on the firewall and let gravity do the rest.......:-))
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I have a motive products unit that I have used for maybe 10 years on european cars. It is really simple, and has the bonus of refilling the master or clutch cylinder as you are bleeding. These work great for hydraulic clutches also!

You can create your own adapters with the top off of another old cylinder, making it a universal unit.
      54 Champion coupe
      48 Champion Convert

Comment

I'm fairly satisfied with the one I got from Harbor Freight, it takes an air compressor, though to create a siphon.

Comment

The cheapest method and also very easy.

A can or bottle with about an inch of fresh fluid in it.
          A clear plastic hose that will go to the bottom of the fresh fluid. Solid color hose will work also, just the clear lets you see exactly what's happening.
          Make sure the line is at the bottom of the fluid.
          Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid.
          Loosen the bleed screw.
          Slowly pump the pedal four or five times. Verify the reservoir is full.
          Pump the pedal a few more times, check the reservoir. You'll get a feel for the amount of fluid spent per pump.
          Do this till all bubbles are gone out of the line...OR till you have a solid pedal.
          Tighten the bleed screw.
          Fill the reservoir.

The hose in the fluid keeps air out of the system from the beginning. It becomes a part of the system for the time it's connected.
          You learn these things when there's no one around to pump the pedal for you while you play with the bleeder screw...

One person, about 5 minutes per corner, simple, and best of all cheap.

Mike

Comment

+1 on Motive Products. they make an adapter for the underfloor style Stude MCs too, but you'll have to roll your own for the firewall mounted ones or else use the clamp on style. Not that expensive and recommended.

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Attention CASOS

For under $25 you can make your own like the Motive Products style. Home Depot has the pump up garden sprayers for $10-$15 I bought a couple of brass hose adapters to use some of the quick disconnect air line fittings. I have accumulated one of almost all of the Studebaker M/C caps, drilled a 3/8" hole and with some JB Weld, screwd the male fitting into the cap and presto....you're ready to "bleed". I have made two, one for DOT3 and one for DOT5. I have had these for over 10 years and the brake fluid has not harmed either. Using a junction block, I have incorporated a lever type shut off valve and a pressure gauge, you only need 10 or 15 pounds to bleed a system. After each use, I flush out the hoses with denatured alcohol. The only caution is, when pressurizing the bottle, operate the pump very slowly as not to generate an excessive amount of air bubbles. The supply tube from the bottle draws the fluid from the very bottom. As for other cars, most parts stores sell a universal M/C lid with a thick rubber gasket and chain clamps to fit single and split M/Cs. This is a sure fire CASO way to bleed your brakes AND do it by yourself!!! Hope this helps

Dan Miller
              Auburn, GA

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
                Attention CASOS

For under $25 you can make your own like the Motive Products style. Home Depot has the pump up garden sprayers for $10-$15 I bought a couple of brass hose adapters to use some of the quick disconnect air line fittings. I have accumulated one of almost all of the Studebaker M/C caps, drilled a 3/8" hole and with some JB Weld, screwd the male fitting into the cap and presto....you're ready to "bleed". I have made two, one for DOT3 and one for DOT5. I have had these for over 10 years and the brake fluid has not harmed either. Using a junction block, I have incorporated a lever type shut off valve and a pressure gauge, you only need 10 or 15 pounds to bleed a system. After each use, I flush out the hoses with denatured alcohol. The only caution is, when pressurizing the bottle, operate the pump very slowly as not to generate an excessive amount of air bubbles. The supply tube from the bottle draws the fluid from the very bottom. As for other cars, most parts stores sell a universal M/C lid with a thick rubber gasket and chain clamps to fit single and split M/Cs. This is a sure fire CASO way to bleed your brakes AND do it by yourself!!! Hope this helps

Dan Miller
                Auburn, GA
                And there's photos on this thread.

Comment

Thanks Matthew. The old memory ain't what it used to be, but you're too young to know. My dear departed Dad always used to say " Your memory is gona' be the 2nd thing to go and you'll know what the first thing is". Barbara and I will see you and your'ns tommorrow. Again, thanks

Dan Miller
                  Auburn, GA

Comment

Excellent info guys, great ideas as usual. A few different ways to choose from. Much appreciated!!
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Here's what I bought, http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tool-...369245&sr=1-31similar to the Motive system others have recommended. Works fine but you'll need adapters. I did the bleed on the 4 wheel disc conversion on the late, great Avanti. I'm sure it would do well on any system with the right MC adapter.

ErnieR

Comment

Have used "Russell" brand self bleeding units for many years - They work great and are dependable. Basically, they have a spring loaded check valve to allow fluid flow only out, no air intake. They are tightened (like a OE bleeder) in normal use. When bleeding the system, they are loosened about 1/2 turn. Pumping the pedal forces out the old, the check valve keeps air out when the redal is released - slick and easy. just have to remember to keep the MC resevoir full of new fluid at all times.
                        PaulTK

Comment

" Your memory is gona' be the 2nd thing to go and you'll know what the first thing is"
                          I always heard, your memory is the second thing to go. I forgot the first.

Comment

I use a Speedi-bleed system. http://www.speedibleed.com/products/specialitykits2.php It uses air from a tire to force the brake fluid and air through. The reservoir holds clean brake fluid so you do not need to keep filling the master cylinder. It works better than any system I have used and is super quick though not the cheapest! It does not use hardly any air from the tire that you connect it to.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              To those that have used the 'Garden Sprayer type' - Do you lose much brake fluid when you remove the adaptor cap from the top of the m/c ? I would imagine the m/c is totally full, and some would be in the line between the valve and cap.
                              Matt
                              Brisbane
                              Australia
                              sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Working...
                              X