PDA

View Full Version : Engine: dont know why the car runs hot or wont start in hot weather very good

studebakerjoe
07-21-2011, 08:52 AM
dont know why my 59 lark is stubborn in starting in hot and humid weather. and why the temp guage runs hot. any suggestions what causes it and how to remedy it. it doesnt like hot and humid weather. its fine when its not hot and humid and runs normal then

Tom B
07-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Temp gauge could be showing temperature of the engine. My '55 (V8) radiator takes 40 out of the coolant, it could be yours isn't that efficient, or It could be that your block is in need of cleaning. Studebakers are notorious for building sludge in the coolant passages of the block and then not cooling properly. You didn't say if your engine is a 6 or an 8, on a six, you remove the starter and the three (I think) soft plugs on the side of the engine, and dig out all the crud that has accumulated in the passages. You can do this leaning over the fender, but it's dirty. If you have an 8, its the same procedure, but much harder, you gotta do it under the car. I recommend finding a Studebaker service person and having them do it. I had mine done last year, cost me two hours labor.

This won't help your no-start problem, though.

55 56 PREZ 4D
07-21-2011, 12:10 PM
New cables.
I had terrible hot start problems with my 55, V8, 6 Volt. The battery cables looked OK, BUT. They were old, corroded internally. I had new ones made up. Oversized. Cured the problem completely.
You can get cables off the shelf at a parts store for your 12 V.
Run the ground cable to a starter mount bolt. Make connections as direct as possible to the starter. At least clean all connections, if possible use Coppershield or some sort of CONDUCTIVE coating. NOT grease or dielectric.
If you use a conductive coating a little goes a long way, too much and it may migrate and cause a short.

studebakerjoe
07-22-2011, 11:53 AM
thank you will try that. dont need a studebaker service person, husband is an ase tech and can do it himself probably

studebakerjoe
07-22-2011, 11:54 AM
thanks will try that