R-4 Daytona Road Test Scan??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-4 Daytona Road Test Scan??

Someone recently posted a scan of the complete magazine article covering the assembly and road test of the one R-4 Daytona. I have spent more than an hour looking at threads and haven't hit the right search combination yet. Can someone point me to that article?
    Thanks,
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Paul, I remember an extensive discussion about that car, but I don't remember anyone posting a scan of that January 1964 Car Life article; the "Gene Booth" R4 Daytona.

Did someone post a link to it?

???? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It's on my Archive/memorabilia page. Click on magazine articles
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Paul, I remember an extensive discussion about that car, but I don't remember anyone posting a scan of that January 1964 Car Life article; the "Gene Booth" R4 Daytona.

Did someone post a link to it?
        ???? BP
        Must be why I couldn't find it. Per Bob's post after yours I found what I needed to know- where it said in the article that the engine was red. Andy Beckman and I had a little discussion about why mine is blue (I don't have any idea) and I mentioned that in the Car Life magazine they mentioned the chrome-crusted red engine. Then today Greg Cone said he was discussing the R-4s with Dave T-Bow and Greg wanted the reference to the red R-4 comment. Dave is apparently working on a R-4 and wants to make sure he has the right color. FYI, the mention of the R-4 being red in on a photo caption in the Car Life article (http://www.studebaker-info.org/Magan...64/cl26449.jpg).
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
          It's on my Archive/memorabilia page. Click on magazine articles
          Thanks. Found what I needed. Now, what is the story about the '64 R-4 Daytona CONVERTIBLE in the next frame in your archives (http://www.studebaker-info.org/Magan...cars264.html)? I don't remember ever hearing of that one.

Comment

R4 convert was a custom Granatelli car for the Salt Flats.

Comment

I see Vince Granatelli frequently. He disputes the blue on R4 engines. He says all their engines were red.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                I see Vince Granatelli frequently. He disputes the blue on R4 engines. He says all their engines were red.

Denny L
                I don't care, what Vince says about the R4's all being red......Mine was blue when I got it......I bought it from a kid in Warren Ohio that bought the engine, on a pallet, from Studebaker in early 1965.....I got it from him in mid 65........The color was not changed from red to blue, period......Keep on Studebakering

Comment

At the Museum.
                  Bill H
                  Daytona Beach
                  SDC member since 1970
                  Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

My understanding is that R4's were painted blue so they wouldn't be confused with an R3. Taking an R4 engine and adding a supercharger in the mistaken belief it's an R3 would make for a very short lived experience...but what an experience it would be!
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Too bad the car life issue wasn't in color!

Comment

Working...
                      X