Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daughter & her friend drag racing today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter & her friend drag racing today.

My daughter invited her friend to the drag strip to ride along. Her friend had never been to the drags and had a blast. After making her first time trial run of 16.08 @ 87 mph with a passenger. She noticed that I'd put the basically class 3 hitch back on her Lark to tow a car trailer yesterday.

She jokingly told me I was trying to slow her down. She asked me if I could remove it. I was racing a friends altered and didn't have time. She asked what tools were needed to remove the hitch.

They are re-installing the bumper after hitch removal.
    Her second pass was a 15.74. That's when she told me jokingly. "HAH I told you" Her third pass was a 15.71. She ended up breaking out in the second round by .004 thousandths of a second under her time. She ran a 15.696 on a 15.70 dial with a .036 reaction time. Her competitor was .001 above her dial.

Gordon

I am afraid that you are promoting an addiction that is very hard to break! What a great story, tell her keep it up.

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

so, in the second pic, what can you tell us about that wagon just beyond the white mustang?

Comment

Bobglasscock.
        Looks like a Dodge Dart Station Wagon to me.. About a 65 I would say..
        Ron Husak
        Ron Husak
        Conifer, CO
        Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
        63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Pat, Your right about the racing addiction. Its even in a CASO budget to race a Stude in the sportsman bracket.

Bob, I think Ron is right about the Dart wagon being a 65. It was running in my daughters class. I think it was running low 16,s. The day before was a special slant 6 class with about 30 cars. I didn't attend Sat. If you look closer at the pic you can see some of the cars that hung out to race yesterday. There was a car from the Twin Cities, Minnasota area. The lancer in the back ground was running mid 13's. We had a low 11's wagon show up 2 years ago with a slant six and a lenco tranny.

Gordon

Comment

Wasn't sure if it was a Dart or Valiant, don't even know if Valiant made a wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
              Wasn't sure if it was a Dart or Valiant, don't even know if Valiant made a wagon.
              They sure did Bob! Change the front sheet metal, and some badges and they're identical. Bish
              sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
              1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
              1959 4E2 4spd, TT
              1963 8E28 GSA order
              1963 8E5 SOLD!
              1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

I love that you are sharing the love of Studebakers and drag racing with your daughter! Back when I was growing up in the 70s I was usually the only little girl at car shows, swap meets and drag races with my dad. I have raced my 64 Avanti since I got it in 1990 in California and back here in Ohio. Met my husband at National Trail Raceway, we were both drag racing! Now we're raising another generation of Studebaker and drag race lovers! I think our involvement with cars and drag racing kept both me and my brother out of trouble as kids!
                sigpic
                Michelle (Myer) Chernisky
                Heart of Ohio Chapter, SDC
                60 Lark Convertible & 64 Avanti

Comment

Hey Studegirl, I think that my daughter will someday have fond memories like yourself and your dad racing Studies. It great to hear that you and your husband continued racing even after starting a family. My daughter is putting her Lark in the local cruise this Friday. Its the kick off for the car show on Saturday that she is entering on her own this year . Her Cruiser was in it the last two years. She first entered her Jr. Dragster in the show at the age of 13. Your right about involvement in racing keeps kids out of trouble. She has benefited so much from Stude's & drag racing. She will someday realize how much.

Gordon

Comment

Gordon - that's a great way to get her involved and keep her interested. I started out being "in charge" of my dad's car (cleaning/waxing) at car shows while he judged and worked the swap meets when I was about 10. I then graduated to handing out trophies, being a runner for the judges and selling raffle tickets. Then I got my 60 Lark convertible when I was 16 and had my own car to enter. I'm now treasurer of our chapter and have been for the last 8 1/2 years, still selling raffle tickets and cleaning cars! We've got to keep the younger generation involved if we are going to continue to exist!! Way to go!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Studegirl, I told my daughter that I was thinking about attending South Bend in 2012. She told me " I want to go". Her first Stude meet was Spokane in 05. She had a blast. She was born in Spokane and lived there until age 3. I took her out to Spokane Raceway and raced the Lark Fri & Sat night. She asked why we were the only Stude from the meet racing. I told her that people probably didn't know about the drag strip.

Gordon

Comment

I think my first National meet was Cincinnati in '77 at the age of 12. She will love South Bend, I'm hoping we can trailer my convertible over for it next year. Took the kids, who are now 7 & 8, over in 2007, but didn't take the car that trip. Definitely take her if you can! The Stude Nat. Museum is a must see! There's always drag racing at Osceola dragway at some point during the week and while I won't have my Avanti out there racing, my brother will have something to race and maybe my father. Great time in South Bend! Hope to see you there!
                        sigpic

Comment

Gordon,
                          Did the wheels make it lighter? Did she get a better ET or MPH?
                          Richard
                          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Finally getting back to the computer. We'll see how the SB plans work out. I ran at Osceola in 02 and had a blast. She will want to make some passes if the trip works out. Looking forward to seeing all the Studebakers racing.

Richard,
                            The wheels did make it a little lighter. I would have bought the 4' front wheels if the car wasn't a daily driver. I put 7" wheels with Fusion HRI 205/60/15's all the way around for rotating purposes. Not sure about the ET or MPH difference. She started running the Lark at the same time as the new wheels.

Gordon

Comment

Gordon, I was in Spokane in 05 with my 63 cruiser and would have races it if I had known, my 63 was 289, AFB, TT duel exhaust and load but ran out very well, would liked to have had a chance to run it but didn't know, all water over the dam now as the car is now in the Netherlands.. see you in SB.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X