1959+ vs. 1958 down cars.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959+ vs. 1958 down cars.........

I remember reading about how Studebaker threw a 'Hail Mary' with their 1959 Lark series...........

It's just amazing that a (relatively) simple redesign of the 1953-58 platform yielded such a 'different' and significantly more successful vehicle.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

An equally-significant factor was the economic timing of the 1959 Lark's introduction. Simply put, it could not have been introduced at a more opportune moment in recent history.

The 1958 recession was at rock bottom and people were clamoring for economy cars. Of the five major auto makers at the time, only American Motors (Rambler) increased their unit sales in 1958; everybody else took a serious dip, even The General... with what must honestly be admitted were gawd-awful cars for the times (1958).

Meanwhile, Volkswagen, the only serious import of the day, made good inroads, and the Renault Dauphine, as lousy as it was (sorry, Renault fans), was picking up speed.

So The Lark was truly "Your New Dimension in Motoring" (hey, maybe they should have used that theme in advertising) for 1959, with a fall 1958 introduction.

Timing is everything and Studebaker hit the nail dead-on with the 1959 Lark. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If only Crosley had held on for a few more years....I guess they were too far ahead of their time. Four cylinder, overhead cam and 4-wheel disc brakes as standard equipment in 1950 for their entire automotive line (including pickups). I suppose the Kaiser Henry J may have sold well in the late 1950's too with it's smaller size.

As for the redesign of the '58 sedans into the '59 Larks, I wonder how sells/profits would have been had Studebaker reverted back to it's 1953 sedan design with some very minor front and rear design tweaking. Had they based the '59 Lark on the '53 sedan (rather than the '55-1/2 to '58 sedan), they wouldnt have had to replace the wraparound windshield for 1963. Plus, the Champ pickup would have had a non-wraparound windshield (no dog legs).
      Last edited by Milaca; 07-16-2011, 09:45 PM.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Agreed. Look at what American Motors did for example. It took a car that was last made in 1955, installed a new grille, turned the tail lamps upside down & called it the Rambler American! Sold a boatload of them too until it was facelifted in 1961 then a total redesign in 1964. Studebaker's redesign was more extensive but received praise from the automotive journals & the public. It has been said that if the Falcon was released in 1958 followed by the Edsel in 1960 things would probably been different when history was written.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yes, I am a Lark owner & fan and am amazed at how Studebaker hit one out of the ball park with the Lark. They were able to market a whole new car without having to retool in a major way. You can really see the Mercedes influence in the Lark. The car appears European in both proportion & styling. I really think what they did was brilliant. A Studebaker shell makes a more convincing unit for a German import than it does for a Chrysler, as they found out in '58.

Studebaker was not always so lucky. They would always try to stretch the buck to make as much of aging body styles with bolt ons, sometimes with disasterous outcomes. First and second year models usually worked the best and had the cleanest lines (53 & 54s for example). Bad rewarms: the '52 front clip & GM looking hardtop. Most 58 models with the awkward headlight pods and faux Mopar styling. The '61 Lark with the body moulding in the wrong place.

Bolt on success: The Hawk tailfins.

Those are only my personal thoughts. Styling is objective and subject to taste & opinion so please do not be offended if I mentioned your car. All Studes are worth cherishing, even the more awkward years. ;-)

Comment

I couldn't help but comment about the introduction of the '59 Larks. I've owned my '59 Lark
            Regal Hardtop for over 20 years and am amazed by all the very positive comments from people who look at my car.
            I remember when the Larks were introduced. There was a local dealer, who loved to drive around the area with his new Lark Deluxe 2 door sedan. I thought that Studebaker did a magnificent job with the design. At first glance, I didn't realize that the disigners utilized the bodies of the previous Stude models. Considering the strict financial limitations that they had, the styling was amazing.
            Whenever I open my garage and look at my Lark, a smile always comes to my face. It's really a pretty cute car.
            I think I hear the word "cute" more that any other word when people comment about my car.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I think that we primarily have Harold "Church" Churchill to thank for the Lark series. IMO, he was a nice man that really worked to save Studebaker automobile production.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X