Finally Joined the SDC Forum here are a couple of my 56 presidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Joined the SDC Forum here are a couple of my 56 presidents

My name is Joe Studebaker and I have had my 56 2dr President for about 10 years. I have bought many NOS parts over the life of owning my car. I just haven't made the time to get it restored. In 2006 I bought a Valkyrie motorcycle and that became my new interest. I recently was down in Springfield, Mo for the National Meet and going down there has giving me energy to focus on getting my two cars restored. I thought I was going to restore my 2dr first but after finding a 4 dr in Nebraska a few weeks ago it is much closer to completion than the two door. Believe it or not I bought the four door I picked up for $1200. It needs a paint job and an engine that a local studebaker guy has a rebuilt engine (full flow) without intake and carb. I plan to put the intake and carb off of mine on it. Both engines spun bearings and threw a rod. I have all the engine parts to rebuild the two door engine minus pistons. So here is a few pictures of my projects. I have been lurking on the board for some time but just wanted to say Hi and hope to see everyone in Southbend next year.

One (56 2dr president) I have had for some time... You can see the link here... Needs full restoration: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2&l=31cb42ee9c

I have everything to put this back together just need to find the time!

I just picked this one up in Nebraska two weeks ago:

WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

Comment

Welcome .... You've go a couple of nice projects to start on. You'll find plenty of help and suggestions here and a little fun as people banter back and forth. Just enjoy yourself and remember have fun !!!
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Welcome and good luck with your projects. Be careful, Studebakers are extremely habit forming.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Great news, Joe; 'glad you got a shot in the arm attending Springfield.

Your 1956 President 2-door is of interest to at least two of us in The Co-Operator section of Turning Wheels.

First, Dwain Grindinger drove his parent's 1956 President 2-door while in high school and terrorized much of south central Missouri in the process, rumor has it.

Second, my father was a Packard / Studebaker / Nash dealer when the 1956 models were introduced. They could barely squeeze two cars in the showroom, but on introduction day 1956, "the" Studebaker on the showroom floor was a black 1956 President 2-door with white roof and side insert; a pretty car with rare, two-way Power Seat!

The other car on the showroom floor was a Nash, but I couldn't even tell you the model, body style, or color!

I do hope you'll see your way to resurrecting that 2-door. It's a rare car worthy of your devotion. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I need a passenger door for the four door. Do you know if any other model fits besides the 56 commander/champion/president... For some reason I was thinking a lark door would fit or is it just the glass. Not sure... If you know please advise...

Also my grandfather use to build studebaker boats here in topeaka,ks. I scanned many of the brochures that grandpa had made and were put as inserts in InFisherman style magazines.

Here is a link:

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Studebaker_1977 View Post
              I need a passenger door for the four door. Do you know if any other model fits besides the 56 commander/champion/president... For some reason I was thinking a lark door would fit or is it just the glass. Not sure... If you know please advise...

Also my grandfather use to build studebaker boats here in topeaka,ks. I scanned many of the brochures that grandpa had made and were put as inserts in InFisherman style magazines.

Here is a link:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2&l=0babd9fcf3
              If discussing a front door; you are in luck since any 4 door Stude from late 1955 (wraparound windshield) to 1962 uses the same door shell.
              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

There are some front fenders for that at the late Gene Mitchell stash in Baldwin City, KS. They sure looked like 56-57 fenders to me. Most of the Kaw Valley Chapter folks can get you in touch with them. I was there two weeks ago and spotted them. Lots of other sheet metal and probably doors too. I did not look closely at the sheet metal as I was not personally interested in it.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Welcome Joe! You would be surprised how often the subject of Studebaker boats comes up on this forum. Occasionally a brochure or even a whole boat shows up on ebay or somewhere else and sets off a whole new round of questions.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Two door Vice President, four door President.

Comment

A hearty welcome to you from the dark corner of South Carolina. Betcha could've hauled a lot of moonshine in the spacious trunk of one of those Presidents!

Since you said you have been "lurking" on the forum, you probably have already steeled yourself for who we are.

In spite of getting a good preview of who we are...you joined anyway!

I will be looking for pictures of your progress on the cars.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Welcome and good luck on your cars...the end result is worth all the work to get it there. Enjoy the ride...

Comment

Welcome to the forum Joe. It was great to see you again in Springfield. Also glad to hear that the meet might have helped to light a fire under your interest in completing two wonderful project Studebakers. 41 Frank gave you a very good lead on the stash in Baldwin, KS and that isn't that far from you.

Comment

Originally posted by 55 prez View Post
                            Welcome to the forum Joe. It was great to see you again in Springfield. Also glad to hear that the meet might have helped to light a fire under your interest in completing two wonderful project Studebakers. 41 Frank gave you a very good lead on the stash in Baldwin, KS and that isn't that far from you.
                            Jim, It was great to see you, as well. It's been awhile since I seen all of you and hope that the occurrence will be more frequent. Yes as 41 Frank has reminded me of Mr. Mitchell's cars. Gene was one of two studebaker guys that I rode to Southbend, In back in 2002. I had the privilege of staying at his house the night before and he gave me the tourer of all the Studebaker's he was able to save from the crusher. So so many vehicles. I just learned of his passing from the Lester and Lila Bartel. I had no idea he passed and from what I thought that all the vehicles were tied up in the estate. I take it the family is slowly selling off the vehicles? Is that right Frank? Frank if you could send me a PM with the information that I can get in contact with a member of the family that would be very helpful.

1962Larksedan: Thank you for the information on the doors. I thought Rodney or Gene had told me that some of the cars body parts crossed over but I wasn't sure of the years. That will help. Thank you.

Dwain: My family does own one of the Studebaker boats it is the "Studebaker 22" model and we use it all the time to go fishing in and it is by far one of the joys I love to do with my dad and in memory of my grandfather.

BobPalma: I too, want to restore the 2dr President. I have heard that it is a rare find and I want to restore it back to original. I have yet to see one in a car show that I have been to thus far. I imagine as time continues to pass that less of them are around.

Anyhow,

Thanks for the warm welcome and I hope to spend more time on here in the future.

Joe.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.
                              Unless you have the money to do justice to both of your cars. Clean up the 4 Dr and sell it and put the money into the 2DR, if you can only have one??
                              Just a suggestion! But we look forward to seing one at South Bend in 2012.
                              Good Luck
                              & Good Roads
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X