Electric furl pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric furl pump

Hello everyone, I like to know if it is ok to install electric fuel pump for my 1955 studebaker commander 259 engine??
    thank you

According to my parts supplier Stude Dude when I asked about installing one in my 1962 Lark Regal - the insistent reply was "don't" as you'll regret it. Rebuild or purchase a new mechanical pump, else get a kit for it and install that. It's lasted this long so it must do the job.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I fitted an electric pump as well as the mechanical pump to my '53 Champion and it was the best thing that I have done. I use it to prime the Carb when starting after sitting for a while, and I switch it on when it suffers vapour lock. For normal running I just run on the mechanical pump.
      Dave Pink
      Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
      1925 ER Tourer
      1925 Panel Delivery
      1953 Champion Sedan
      1957 Golden Hawk
      1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
      http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

With the ethanol in all the fuels today vapor lock is a major problem, I now install electric pumps in all the cars I service, some as backup on a switch , and more comonly now as replacement for the mechanical. I also relocate the lines out away from the block. The days are much nicer when the cars make trips without fuel problems.

Comment

Why not.....?

Just do not trust the advertized pressure ratings.
          Unless you buy a really cheap, low pressure pump, I'd suggest getting a regulator and a gauge to make sure you keep the pressure under 5-1/2 or 6 psi. You can mount the gauge to the regulator and either leave it, or remove it as you see fit.

Many people install electric pumps and all of a sudden the engine starts running rich or they're having flooding problems. This is caused by the pump running too high a pressure, thus raising the float level and the richness of the fuel system.

It's a good idea in any case. I've run the 7psi Carter pumps in many cars (street) for many years without problem.
          I even have a 12 volt Carter pumping fuel to my 6volt system I-6, 54 Conestoga. Works fine, been there for just over two years.

Vapor lock....haven't seen that since I was a kid....many, MANY..years ago..!? But this will keep it at bay.

Mike

Comment

Electric Fuel Pump

I have had an electric fule pump on my 49 Land Cruiser for years. Originally used it to prime between infrequent starts. Now with the ethinol gas I have to use it regularly while driving. On the recent trip from Florida to Springfield, MO and return it would have been difficult to have made it without the electric fuel pump helping.
            sigpicBob Coolidge
            DeLand, FL

Comment

I run an electric fuel pump on the R1 engine in my Champ. It is great for priming the carb as has been said earlier. I have never (knock on wood) had a vapor lock with the truck.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The main point is not how well your original mechanical fuel pump works but the ethinol fuels we now have in the U.S. The new fuels have a lower boiling point and therefore vaporize quicker causing vapor lock. This also contributes to the lower efficiency of the new fuels they don't ignite and burn in the cylinder as quickly as the old fuels. I have an electric on my Champ and one to be installed on my '55 President State 4 door. I will install with a toggle switch and only use when starting the engine or if I encounter vapor lock.

Comment

Keep the mechanical pump, add the electric. Make sure it's the flow thru type that lets fuel flow from the mechanical pump.
                  Just switch it on to prime and for vapor lock.
                  If you never use it thats good, but the first time you need it, saves a lot of trouble on a hot day.
                  The car isn't a trailer queen is it ?
                  South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                  X