Love to have this Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love to have this Hawk

It's the sort of "roll the dice" car that appeals to me. Thankfully, the seller did not want to spend a few hours with some soap and water.

JDP Maryland

John, This one is right up your alley and not to mention, in your backyard too, eh? Do your magic.
    sals54

Comment

Yep,I've been watcing that one all week. It's my dream 'keeper' GT- non-R series, floor shift, A/C, solid but unrestored, ideal for a guy to go through himself. I'd slap on a smooth trunk lid, paint it red with white leather inside. I was tempted to bid on it, but my current motto is "Not for me till I'm debt free!"

I've got a gut feeling this brand new eBayer is expecting way more than it's worth...
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I agree with JDP, it would have taken a few hours maybe to shine it up as much as possible and give it a better presentation. Would likely increase the bids as well.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

You guys are right. It is one thing to show a vehicle as a true "barn find."

However, a little soap and water, photos taken with good lighting, and better presentation, could go a long way in igniting a prospective buyer's imagination and passion for the car's restoration and return to elegance.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Oh, I smell that musty mildew smell now...
            Funny how a picture can bring out a smell...
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Oh, I smell that musty mildew smell now...
              Funny how a picture can bring out a smell...
              Mildew, old gasoline and mouse turds, the elixir of the restorer.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                Mildew, old gasoline and mouse turds, the elixir of the restorer.
                Possibly the only issues but I'd be a little nervous about paying a lot without an inspection. The door tag reattached could cause issues with your local DMV and without seeing the underside there is just enough rust showing to make me wonder. The entire right side shows a possible crease down the body panels which is also an issue.

The engine may turn but again just enough crud and corrosion to raise red flags. I think more than a Lark/Hawk shine is necessary to bring this one back.

Again for the right price it is probably a OK candidate and I know JDP knows his limits so Good Luck.

Bob

Comment

Not even the correct '64 GT deck lid.

IMHO, something says stay away from this deal. This FIRST TIME eBay seller knows too much about the ins & outs of presenting a vehicle only in its best light.

Comment

A plethora of hyperbole and very little solid information
                    and so much more total class act hand built touring Coupe of its day.
                    Gosh, and to think all this time, I just thought they were just Studebakers.
                    IMHO, something says stay away from this deal. This FIRST TIME eBay seller knows too much about the ins & outs of presenting a vehicle only in its best light.
                    Not even the correct '64 GT deck lid.
                    and the driver's door appears to have a different paint than the rest of the car.

Bob Andrews, you can have this one with my blessing. I won't be a bidder.

jack vines
                    Last edited by PackardV8; 07-14-2011, 08:53 AM.
                    PackardV8

Comment

2 bbl version? Don't most people envision a Hawk as a performance car?
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                        2 bbl version? Don't most people envision a Hawk as a performance car?
                        Yep...I think so. That is why I was shocked the first time I saw a "Flight Hawk."

I think they are very cute little cars, but unless I had one of those built to the hilt performance flatheads...I would keep the hood closed.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

lot of GT hawk came out with 2 bld. carbs. I had a 64 GT with a 4 speed and 2 Bld. and air. once. 64 's are the best just picked up a 63 R-1 auto full package I think, also need to get the damn driver door open to see the tag.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            Possibly the only issues but I'd be a little nervous about paying a lot without an inspection. The door tag reattached could cause issues with your local DMV Bob
                            I have seen these door tags before like this on many a Studebaker and even on ones I have dismantled. I dont believe its ever been tampered with but question why? and what the factory was doing to not have paint on the underside and then not locate the VIN plate on correctly.
                            Tom
                            sigpic

Comment

I said I'd love to have it, not that it was perfect, nor even will I bid if it goes much higher. It looks like someone cleaned off the front fender, maybe saw the rust and decided to quit.
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X