'55 Speedster Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '55 Speedster Value

I am looking at a beautiful yellow and green '55 speedster going for a little more than $30,000. Is this price high if the transmission is manual not automatic? I saw one like it on an auction site that went for $36,000 but it was loaded (including air).

If it's done correctly you certainly can't build one for that price. I don't know that the type of transmission would make much difference. Others chime in.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Only 151 Speedsters had factory stick/overdrive transmission, so they are genuinely rare. I would think that one of them would bring more than one of the 2000+ Automatic Drive copies, all other things equal.

But before bidding on a supposedly-factory stick/overdrive Speedster, you would certainly want to verify it as being so by running the Serial Number through The Studebaker National Museum. BP.
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The owner provided an engine number, a Serial Number, and a body number. I'm new at this. I assume the museum may be able to tell me all about the car. Now if only my pocketbook would grow by a few thousand.

Comment

I was on the Studebaker Museum site and the only place I could see production information offered took four to six weeks for delivery. Is there anything faster? The car may not last that long. Any other suggestins?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
            The owner provided an engine number, a Serial Number, and a body number. I'm new at this. I assume the museum may be able to tell me all about the car. Now if only my pocketbook would grow by a few thousand.

Give us the body number, unless it's a early show car that will tell us if it's a Speedster. BTW, AC was not a option in 55 on a hardtop to the best of my knowledge. Here's a Speedster that I'll be listing next week at close to the price range you are looking at.

Last edited by JDP; 07-12-2011, 10:45 PM.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Wow, that's beautiful!

Originally posted by JDP View Post
              Give us the body number, unless it's a early show car that will tell us if it's a Speedster. BTW, AC was not a option in 55 on a hardtop to the best of my knowledge. Here's a Speedster that I'll be listing next week at close to the price range you are looking at.

http://www.stude.com/Jeff/

Comment

Holy Cow! I'm applying for a second morgage, car loan, and I'm leasing out my first born! I'll bid on the car, but I'm afraid something that beautiful will be cherished by someone with a deeper pocket than I. The body number of the car I'm looking at is 827 6H-K7. I appreciate the help JDP.

Jeb

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
                  Holy Cow! I'm applying for a second morgage, car loan, and I'm leasing out my first born! I'll bid on the car, but I'm afraid something that beautiful will be cherished by someone with a deeper pocket than I. The body number of the car I'm looking at is 827 6H-K7. I appreciate the help JDP.

Jeb
                  K7 indicates a Speedster body number 827 out of 2215 built. If you post pictures, we can pick nits for you and give you a idea of value.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Jeb: K7 confirms that it is indeed a Speedster.

Call Andy Beckman at The Studebaker National Museum, tell him what you are up against in terms of wanting to verify the transmission during the auction time, and offer a credit card to pay for, ahem, "expeditedhandling."

Their phone number is 574.235.9983.

Just my opinion: If the car is indeed one of the documented 151 factory stick/overdrive cars, I'd bid at least 10% more than if it was a garden-variety Automatic Drive. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Jeb: K7 confirms that it is indeed a Speedster.

Call Andy Beckman at The Studebaker National Museum, tell him what you are up against in terms of wanting to verify the transmission during the auction time, and offer a credit card to pay for, ahem, "expeditedhandling."

Their phone number is 574.235.9983.

Just my opinion: If the car is indeed one of the documented 151 factory stick/overdrive cars, I'd bid at least 10% more than if it was a garden-variety Automatic Drive. BP
                      I beieve that Andy and others from the SNM are on their way to Gettysburg.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It will take me a day to find a scanner to scan in the photos I have. I'll call Mr. Beckman and see if he can help me. I am amazed at the information and expertise available through this club and this forum. There's just too much to absorb. I feel like I did when I learned to cast a fly, overwhelmed with info, aspects, and opinions.

Jeb

Comment

Jeb, I read your post too fast and assumed it was on e-bay.

I see it is not, so it would be good to post some pics if you can, and offer an opinion as to how long you'll have to bid on it before they drop the hammer. BP

Comment

An older gentleman from a desert climate is selling the car. The ad was only up a couple of days. After I called and expressed interest the ad was taken down. We aren't in internet contact so he had to mail me real photos. I suppose the car is for sale until someone snaps it up. The pics from JDP set the bar pretty high for speedsters though. Jeb

Comment

Jeb,
                              I gotta tell ya, that unless the car you're looking at is significantly better than the one JP is selling, I would reconsider. JPs car has been a frame off restoration. If its selling in the 30K range, consider this:
                              First, find a Speedster that needs restoration = 8K
                              Bodywork/Rust repair = 3K
                              Paint = 10K
                              Interior = 5K
                              Engine = 4K
                              Trans = 1K
                              Suspension = 2K
                              Chrome = 5K
                              Dash = 2K
                              Brakes = 1K
                              Glass = 1K
                              Ornamentation = 2K
                              Misc Speedster only hard to find parts = 2K
                              Wiring = 1K
                              This does not include installation of any of the above. Look at the meticulous installation of all of the above on JPs car. That goes for $100 per hour shop rates, or do it yourself. And don't scratch anything during the assembly or oops, back to the paint shop. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like a 200 - 300 hour restoration.
                              Just food for thought. Spend wisely on a car like this.
                              Good luck.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X