Someone buy this Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone buy this Avanti

OK, the interior is wrong, but the BIN price is right.

JDP Maryland

JP, you're right on as usual. It would cost double the buy it now price to build this car.
    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
      JP, you're right on as usual. It would cost double the buy it now price to build this car.
      I agree, but at double the price it would likely be correct/stock.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

But J, Correct is not always stock to a lot of folks. I haven't driven a stock Stude for 40 years. I love my car and all the others I've owned. Stock is furthest from my mind when I consider the value of a Stude. For example, the seats in this Avanti would be far more comfortable than stock seats. The color combo, the headliner, dash, carpet, etc. shows great aplomb and subtlety. Its a beautiful car. In fact the Avanti IIs were done much like this car, and they were considered at the time to be the logical next iteration of what the Avanti should have and could have become. In the end, its all just opinion, though, eh?
        sals54

Comment

Must have been a sweetheart deal. $4350 retail. Base price was $4545 before the R2, power windows, power steering, Powershift, etc. Retail would have been over $5200, with dealer invoice over $4100.
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't care if it is 'stock'...
            That car looks superb!
            (and I like the builders taste....and I am not even an Avanti guy)
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              I don't care if it is 'stock'...
              That car looks superb!
              (and I like the builders taste....and I am not even an Avanti guy)
              I agree, Jeff. Besides, who the heck would ever walk up to you and ask, (or even know) if it was stock. Even vintage car fans are normally so ignorant of or familiar enough with Avanti's to know the details. More than likely, you get questions like, who made that? What is it? What country is that from?

Just by the pictures, it looks as good to me and in some ways better than many so-called "stock" cars I have seen. The bold black paint really gives it umph!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
                Must have been a sweetheart deal. $4350 retail. Base price was $4545 before the R2, power windows, power steering, Powershift, etc. Retail would have been over $5200, with dealer invoice over $4100.
                True, Jim....but with a serial number of 3930 and the deal written up October 10, 1963, the car had been around awhile and there were plenty of new, square-headlight units in the pipeline, dating this one even further.

More dramatic yet is the notation that the dealer will install a tilt wheel at his expense. That was significant; the cost of a whole new steering column and the not-so-easy job of installing it...and what would he ever do with the straight column removed from the car? It wasn't like a set of take-off tires, or an unwanted radio or wheel covers he could readily use on something else.

So you're right, Jim; with no trade, that was a slim (and, in reality, probably losing) proposition for the original selling dealer, especially since there was no trade-in on which he could hope to recoup some of his loss to deliver the new car.

'Not sure what type of factory kickback he might have been getting (if any) for delivering new, untitled 1963 models at that time, but there probably was something. We often don't realize the hits some dealers took to move this iron (or fiberglass) out of new-car inventory before they grew roots into the showroom floor.

And I agree; that is the most pleasant, tasteful non-stock Avanti interior I've ever seen. Well played. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Borrani wires, and a Nardi wheel, and WOW! That's all I'd change. The interior suits me fine.
                  sigpic
                  JohnP, driving & reviving
                  60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Correct or not, I like that upholstery. I like it better than the factory vinyl! Nice car. Wish I had the cash.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I agree with all comments about the interior. Being a turquoise car originally, it most likely had the blue and fawn interior which really dated the car. The interior is very tastefully done compared to some of the Avanti II interiors I have seen. This car puts me back in memory lane as my first car was a black '64 Avanti with round headlights. My current '76 has the identical wheels as the '63 has. That car will make some buyer very happy.
                      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I'm shocked no one has pulled the trigger on this car. Even if you hated the interior, you could make the car stock for under 3K by selling the wrong stuff and making the car stock. I challenge you to do it cheaper with a say a 10K car needing paint, interior and more. Maybe the reserve will be hit and the car will go higher than the BIN. BTW, you'll grow to love the cloth inserts on a black Avanti at anything over a warm day without AC.
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

i'll put my vote in as to really liking the interior.
                          wish i had the $$$ right now!!!
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Unless there's something wrong with this car that we can't see, I think it's a fantastic bargain. And like others have said, the interior is very, very nice.

Comment

If I'm thinking of the right car; I've seen this one in person. And it's very very VERY nice..... (I'm sure there is some paint damage on it, from my drool that is)
                              Dylan Wills
                              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
                              X